Sunday, February 27, 2011

A little poke here, a little prod there ...

I saw my oncologist this past week and had a great visit (sentimental and sappy post to come).  I ran into one of the oncology nurses that administered my chemo over 5 years ago and it was great to catch up.  He was thrilled to see I'm expecting and the entire office staff was doting over the baby bump.  I see my oncologist every four months and it's crazy to think that I'll be a Mother at my next visit!  Of course the entire staff insisted I bring Baby Kelly with me, if possible. 

My appointments these days are pretty routine.  Weight, blood pressure, temperature, bloodwork.  How are you feeling?  Any noticeable lymph node enlargement?  Night sweats?  Any other symptoms or issues?  Then we move onto the physical exam.  Because it's my lymph nodes that are affected by the cancer cells, they check my neck, underarms, abdomen and spleen.  Since I'm so special and such a fun, easy-going patient, my doctor always has a medical student or resident with him (read:  really it's the cancer that is special in the case of my diagnosis, but I prefer to think it's because I'm so awesome). 

This time was no different in that a third year medical student was with him.  Having several close friends that are doctors I never mind having a student examine me at these routine appointments.  We went through the usual round of questions, this time also discussing how I met my doctor's wife at a Junior League meeting, and then started the exam.  My doctor listened to my heart and lungs and then palpated my neck and underarms.  Then he looked at the med student and said "OK, why don't you check her abdomen and spleen for swellling."  I seriously almost peed my pant when he said that.  I mean, how, with this belly do you poke and prod anything except the belly? 


The med student was very professional and gently prodded around my "bump" and reported that she felt nothing out of the ordinary ... other than the the small melon that I'm growing ...

2 comments:

Megan said...

HA HA!! I'd say you might have a little abdominal swelling. :) In an awesome way, of course!

Ms. Thomas said...

Definitely something going on in there. Hopefully it's a fat, sweet, little girl something. Mmmm.