Sunday, February 13, 2011

What's Cookin': The perfect chocolate chip cookie

I have long been in search of "the perfect" homemade chocolate chip cookie ... not that I really searched that extensively since I have a low patience level for baking cookies period.  Mike's Mom makes a great cookie, but I can't get her recipe to turn out in my oven ... some recipes are best left to the master, I suppose.  So, while this post does contain a recipe, it's also the story of my journey to find the perfect homemade chocolate chip cookie ...

To start from the beginning, I joined the Junior League this year in an effort to get more involved in local volunteer efforts and to meet women in my own community.  So far it's been a win-win and I'm very glad I took the plunge.  I was worried that my responsibilities would include a lot of "meetings" and other administrative "things," but I've been pleasantly surprised at how they are able to mix the two.  For example, in December in lieu of a regular meeting I spent two hours cleaning donated toys in preparation for a toy sale allowing low income parents to provide Christmas presents for their children.  In January we made fleece blankets for the local Ronald McDonald house and this past month we had the option to learn, first-hand, about fellow JL members making a difference in our community. 

Bake me Home is an inspirational charity, founded by two young girls as a way to give back to a homeless shelter they were already supporting.  They started by providing a jar of layered cookie mix to families that were "graduating" from various homeless shelters in town.  They have since started a family portrait program for these same families and are also sending cookies to troops overseas (if you know of someone serving, a $30 donation will do the trick).  It was simply inspiring to hear how much of an impact something as simple as bringing a family together, through food, can make.  And the thought process that went into their Tote Bag program is amazing ... from providing all of the supplies for the cookies, including the baking gear, to a grocery gift card to help start in building a pantry, to toothbrushes and toothpaste (items not covered by food stamps), it's really amazing. 

So, a few weeks ago I trekked to a local church in lieu of a general meeting and heard more about the organization from the founders and then the small group of us assembled a few dozen cookie jars.  I was happy to make a donation to such a good cause and in return was offered a jar of the mix to take home.  I dare you to find a pregnant woman that would say no to that offer.  I thought the jar in and of itself was a great concept (all dry ingredients ready to go with only needing 2 eggs and stick of butter!) and I hope to replicate for friends and family during the holiday season. 

My sweet tooth beckoned yesterday and knowing the mixing process would take only a minute or two, I went to work.  Oh.  My.  Goodness.  I don't what it is about this recipe, but these cookies are just delicious.  They baked up in the amount of time the recipe stated (usually cookies my oven take much longer) and were the perfect amount of crunchy and soft.  So, give this recipe a try sometime ... and if you're feeling generous donate to this organization so that they may continue their fantastic work;  it's a win-win : )



Bake Me Home Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies

1 1/3 cups flour
½ teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
½ cup sugar
½ cup brown sugar
½ cup oatmeal (quick oats)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 eggs
1 stick melted butter
1 cup chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Mix all ingredients together with a large spoon. (Mix by hand for best results)  Drop spoonfuls of dough onto ungreased cookie sheet. Bake for 9-12 minutes. Makes approximately 2 dozen cookies (using my cookie scoop, I got 2 1/2 dozen).

For best results, we do NOT recommend using insulated cooking sheets.

3 comments:

Danielle said...

Your JL sounds a lot better than the one here. Those are great opportunities and great ideas! I'll have to bookmark this recipe for the next time I make these jarred cookies. Colin and I did that for his teachers this year but I never actually taste tested the recipe!

Lisa said...

Hmmmm. Great post! I'll have to check out the Junior League here. One of the reasons I'm pursuing a nursing career is the idea of being able to volunteer my services. Also, we pass out Linus blankets to each one of our patients, and the kids love them.

Ms. Thomas said...

Mm. Mmmmmm. MMMMMMMMMMMM!