Friday, February 25, 2011

What's Cookin': Blackberry Cobbler

My contribution to our Valentine's Day dinner was a delicious Blackberry Cobbler, recipe courtesy of my friend Carrie.  Carrie and I met through mutual friends when she was in Medical School and most recently her fellowship landed her in Cincinnati for a few years at Children's Hospital.  We've since bonded over our love of good local food, Broadway performances and the TV show Glee.  During our latest Glee date I supplied the salad and pizza and she brought a wonderful cobbler.  (Mike took the Glee date as a cue to assemble the crib ... a win-win for everyone)  I knew the cobbler was a hit when Carrie and I both went back for seconds and Mike looked as though he'd just lost his puppy when I told him I sent Carrie home with the leftover (she needs fuel to save children's lives!).  The recipe couldn't be easier and I would think you could substitute any berry of your liking.



Easy Peasy Blackberry Cobbler

2 pints fresh blackberries (or any other fruit of your liking)
Juice of half a lemon
1 cup flour
1 cup sugar
1 egg, lightly beaten
4 tablespoons melted butter

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Rinse fruit and put in a greased 8x8 inch baking dish.  Sprinkle fruit with lemon juice. 

In a small bowl, mix the flour, sugar and egg to form a crumble.  Sprinkle crumble over the fruit evenly.  Drizzle butter over the top of the crumb mixture. 

Bake for 35 - 40 minutes, or until bubbly at the edges and the topping starts to turn golden brown. 

Enjoy with vanilla ice cream to make your tummy very happy!

0 comments: