Wednesday, February 16, 2011

It's the thought that counts

Dealing with a pregnant, hormonal woman can't be easy from the other side ... the emotions, the side effects, the lack of feeling "pretty" in anything you put on, the worry about the upcoming birth and child raising ... I extend a kudos to Mike for trying his best, he definitely gets an A for effort!  Unfortunately the stars don't always align or stick to the same grading scale. 

A few months ago he arranged to have flowers delivered to me on a day I was working from home.  Upon arrival that evening he was surprised I hadn't called to thank him or gush over how much I loved the gesture.  That's because they never arrived.  I told him to call the florist and cancel the order, and we could treat ourselves to a nice dinner out instead.  Fast forward a few months ...

At 5:05pm on Monday, Valentine's Day ...

Mike:  Did you have any missed calls today at work? 

Me:  Nope, none, today has actually been pretty quiet, why?

Mike:  No reason ... well, OK, I had flowers sent to your office, they assured me they would arrive by 5pm ... are you sure they didn't arrive?

Me:  Nope, our secretaries are awesome, they definitely would have called me ... and it's after 5pm now so our doors are locked, there's no hope for delivery today. 

Mike:  Dang it!  I can't believe this happened .... AGAIN. 

Side notes:  He'd used a national floral company this time in hopes they'd have their act together ... and all hope wasn't lost as he purchased me a gift certificate for a massage (definitely will be used ASAP!) and also made dinner that night (his wonderful Vodka Pasta!).  Definitely A for effort and almost perfect execution : )  I have since let my pregnancy hormones out on a deserving party (for once) and sent very stern note regarding our dissatisfaction to the national floral company. 

2 comments:

Danielle said...

It is the thought that counts but seriously, what are the odds of that happening to the same person twice? Maybe he should play the lottery!

Are you sure you're allowed to have pasta with VODKA sauce? Kidding!

Lisa said...

Awww poor Mike! What a great dad-to-be!