Thursday, January 13, 2011

What's Cookin': Impossible Quiche

I think you all know by now that I'm a huge fan of one-dish / one-pot meals, making quiche a front runner in our house; throw in the fact that you can usually make the dish a bit ahead of time and it's an excellent choice as far as I'm concerned. I have a couple of "go to" quiche recipes, both are crustless, cutting down the calories, fat and prep time, but I've found myself using my (wonderful) mother-in-law's recipe most recently. She's definitely wonderful, this recipe is most definitely wonderful and the pie plate she got me for Christmas that I used for the first time with this recipe is wonderful! The Bisquick and milk combination settle to form somewhat of a crust and really make the dish in my opinion. The best part is that the leftovers double as fare for breakfast, lunch or dinner, although I prefer to use as a heartier meal, Mike loves breakfast quiche on a weekday ... much better than his usual cold cereal.

The name of the recipe is "Impossible Quiche" and I'm pretty sure that's because it's impossible to go wrong with the recipe and it's also impossible to limit yourself to ingredient ideas. For example, I added the spinach and tomato ... like ham instead of bacon?, go right ahead, want to cut out the meat all together?, works with this recipe. Enjoy!


Impossible Quiche

12 slices of cooked bacon (I used 1 pkg Oscar Mayer's Recipe Pieces Bacon Bits, in the salad dressing aisle)
1/2 c diced onion
1/2 to 2/3 of one 10oz container of frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
1 c shredded Swiss cheese
1 - 2 roma tomatoes, sliced
2 c milk
1/2 c Bisquick (I use the "Heart Smart" variety)
4 eggs
1/4 t salt
1/4 t pepper

Mix the bacon, onion, spinach and cheese in a bowl and spread in a deep dish pie pan or quiche pan. Reserve tomato for topping.

Whisk together remaining ingredients (milk through pepper) and pour over bacon mixture. Top with sliced tomatoes.

Bake at 350 degrees for 50 - 55 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before slicing. Serve with a salad and crusty bread for a complete meal.

* Can prepare quiche ahead of time and bake later, I haven't tried overnight preparation, but have definitely made it early afternoon for a dinner meal.

1 comments:

Lisa said...

Mmmmm! I love quiche. I'll make this for myself and let the fam fend for themselves.