Monday, October 3, 2011

What's Cookin': Fish Tacos

As much as I love to plan our weekly meals out down to the ability to have leftovers for lunches or dinner, I was thrilled last month when I was able to get totally cooky and change things up a bit.  I'd planned to have salmon for dinner one night during the week, but when I saw that tilapia was on sale and salmon was priced sky-high, I deviated a bit.  I was already proud of myself for being flexible until later in the week when I saw that a fellow blogger (who has impeccable taste, pun intended) had posted a fish taco recipe.  We went totally off-road and it was a wonderful suprise; those tacos were amazing and I was tickled pink that my flexibility had paid off.  With summer coming to a close I made sure to add them to last week's menu plan and they are now in the "official" rotation when fresh ingredients are available. 

Click here to see the full version of the recipe including garnishes and toppings, but I'll note that both times I took some shortcuts.  I used fresh mango & peach salsa readily available at our local grocery, pre-chopped cabbage (the rest was used for coleslaw later in the week) and pretty much made regular guacamole as our garnish.  Hello my name is Jen and I have an unhealthy addiction to guacamole.  I wouldn't change a single thing about the spice mixture, it's fabulous!  Both times I served a quick "pull what you have from the pantry" corn and black bean salad as a side dish, recipe below.


Corn & Black Bean Salad

2 ears fresh corn
1 can reduced sodium black beans
1/2 small red onion, diced
2 roma tomatoes, diced
juice of 1/2 a lime
dash of cumin
salt and pepper to taste

Remove the corn from the cob.  Pre-heat a skillet with a bit of EVOO or butter, roast the corn for 5 - 8 minutes.  Combine all ingredients in a bowl and adjust seasonings to your taste. 

1 comments:

Danielle said...

Thanks for the compliment! I'm so glad you deviated and loved this recipe. I don't deviate much either.