Friday, October 14, 2011

Letter to Anna: Month Five

Dear Anna,

This was a month of firsts, lasts, and a lot of changes for our little family; and like usual, you kept your cool and rolled with the punches. Your sleep patterns have remained ones for the books and you wake up each morning and after each nap genuinely happy and full of stretches; it's a sight that everyone should experience in their lives. Your enthusiasm for the world around you is a delight to witness and I wholeheartedly think that's part of why you are so laid back in new situations and environments.


Although you love to take in new sights and sounds, your favorite toys are attached to your body, your hands and feet. We've started to see a lot of drool and although we've offered you plenty of age-appropriate toys, you prefer those hands; apparently I'm not the only one that literally wants to eat you up. You found your feet this month thanks to help from your Gigi and love to roll yourself into a little ball as to inspect them, it's adorable, and I'm waiting for the day that an entire foot goes head-first into your mouth.


We said "goodbye" to our friends at Gymboree where you had a blast interacting with other babies, learning new songs, seeing new sights, and giggling your way into the teacher's heart. You're starting to get very interested in inching along and tummy time is now spent using all of your energy to go mobile. Although we have no desire to rush any of your milestones I have a feeling you'll be scooting in the blink of an eye. You've also started to "tripod" sit and I know that you'll be sitting pretty in a matter of weeks.


You've also become quite the acrobat in your crib and it's hilarious to see the positions you find yourself in when we check on you before bed or in the mornings. We've started to name some of your more regular poses, including "you're SAFE", "power to the people", "walk like an Egyptian", and "I'm a little teapot." I'm pretty sure we could (and may) make a game of charades out of these moves.

You're physically growing by leaps and bounds, although still a petite little lady. With the weather changing into fall you're wearing 3-6 month clothing, but most of it is still a bit big around the middle; I sure hope you stay long and lean on your own accord because it's not in your genetic make-up. You still have a touch of "male-pattern-baldness," but your locks are filling in nicely and it's only a matter of time before I'll be using barrettes to wrangle those bangs. On the flip side, I'm losing my pregnancy strands and noticing more gray strands each day. I guess it's all about give and take.


You started nursery school and I went back to work this month. The weeks leading up to this transition were the hardest in my life and my heart literally broke the Monday we dropped you off for the first time. I knew it would be difficult, I knew it would be an adjustment, but I didn't know just how hard it would hit me those first few days. I've always been overly-emotional and dramatic, but this sent me over the edge. Luckily your school has an amazing staff, you have a wonderfully supportive father, and the slow transition worked for us. Your Gigi has reminded me time and time again that my job as your Mother is to build you into an independent adult and this is part of that process, whether it's nursery school now or pre-school in a few years. And while I've learned there's never a totally right answer in regard to the work-life balance, I've also learned that you're one of the most resilient children out there and you're already learning more and experiencing so much more than I ever imagined.


This quote may seem a little over-the-top, but these words ring true now and for the rest of your life. In the wisdom of Christopher Robin (Winnie the Pooh), "If ever there is a tomorrow when we're not together ... There is something you must always remember. You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think. But the most important thing is, even if we're apart ... I'll always be with you."

Love,
Mom