Monday, June 6, 2011

What's Cookin': Creamed Spinach

Mike and I love a good steakhouse meal, in fact, we had one planned for the day Anna was born ... guess we'll be getting to that in about a year, ha.  As much as we both love a good steak, the sides come pretty close to being my favorite part of the meal and it's always a tough decision as to which ones we select.  Creamed spinach is one we both love ... for me it adds greenery and the appearance of being healthy ... Mike doesn't make any bones about his reasons, to him it's just good eating : ) 

I wasn't allowed to drive for about 2 weeks after giving birth and my first outing, sans child, was the day before my birthday.  I got crazy and went to the grocery for a few items ... including treating myself to a salad bar for lunch ... I know, I live on the edge.  I was so excited to be out of the house and in real clothing that didn't resemble pajamas, that I forgot my birthday was the next day.  And by the time I texted Mike that my cart was full of the fixins' for a steakhouse dinner, I was salivating.  Although I appreciated that he had planned to get takeout from my restaurant of choice, I was already thinking about steak, corn on the cob, creamed spinach and a blackberry cobbler. 

I saw a version of this recipe on the Food Network a few years ago and it's one of the easiest in my recipe box.  It takes about 10 minute to make, can be made in advance and is a crowd-pleaser for our table. 

And, I'm happy to report our at-home steakhouse dinner on my birthday was wonderful ... the cobbler waited a few days, however, as I was treated to an ice cream cake that evening (my selection from a few weeks prior) ... enjoying the meal with Mike and Anna on the patio, a glass of wine (my first since pre-pregnancy) and a cool breeze was pure perfection. 


Doesn't it look healthy ... and pretty?

I promise we had corn ... just no room on this plate : )

Creamed Spinach

2/3 c heavy cream
2 T butter
Salt, pinch, to taste
Pepper, heavy pinch, to taste
Nutmeg, pinch, to taste
2 10 oz packages frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
Parmesan cheese (optional)

Combine the first five ingredients in a pot over low to medium heat, stirring occasionally.  Heat to just below a simmer and until reduced a bit.  Add the spinach and stir until combined.  At this point the dish is ready to serve. 

If making in advance, put into an oven-safe dish and top with a little Parmesan cheese, if desired, store in the refrigerator until ready to serve.  Prior to serving, heat the dish in a 300 - 350 degree oven until warmed through and cheese is bubbly. 

Serves about 4 ... to increase the recipe just add about 1/3 c of cream to each additional box of spinach. 

Enjoy!!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dinner looked great...I, however, really started salivating at the thought of wine....just a few more weeks for me!

Jennifer