Monday, June 13, 2011

Anna Arrives ... Part III ... Outtakes

Part II of the narrative was pretty serious ... labor, forceps, screaming ... and I can tell you that almost 4 weeks later I barely remember the labor at all.  In between all of the stressful parts there were some funny moments I want to remember ... Enjoy!

Bon Appetit ... I was only allowed ice chips and a couple of popsicles during the 18-hour labor ... a great diet plan if you ask me.  For Saturday's lunch my Mom brought Mike back a huge bowl of Mac 'n' Cheese from the Au Ban Pain in the lobby.

Me:  How was your lunch?  Was the Mac 'n' Cheese as good as I remember?

Mike:  Ehhhh, it was OK.

Me:  Just OK?!  Was it better than frozen water?  Because let me tell you, the ice chips I'm getting on an all-you-can-eat-buffet basis are just DELICIOUS!

It's all about the adjectives ... Mike was a wonderful, wonderful support during labor, but toward the end I started to get a little snarky ...

Me:  (Contraction)

Mike:  It's over, you did really well with that one!

Me:  WELL?!?!  That's all you have is the word WELL?!?!  That's like saying "you did mediocre at handling that contraction which seemed to feel like someone was spooning your uterus out with a dull spoon."  Think about using words like WONDERFUL, FANTASTIC or AWESOME.

Working towards a grand finale ... Toward the end of the 2 1/2 hour pushing session my nurse and Mike were doing anything they could think of to keep me motivated and encourage me to continue pushes that were particularly productive.  At one point I took matters into my own hands ... I'm not particularly proud that I resorted to "yelling" at my baby, but at the time it seemed there was no other option : )

Nurse Anne:  OK, here's another one coming on, get ready ...

Me:  (deep breath in) OK BABY, TIME TO GET OUT!!  (push for 1, 2 ... 8)

Me:  (deep breath in) GET OUT!! (push for 1, 2 ... 8)

Me:  (deep breath in) GET OUT!! (push for 1, 2 ... 8)

Nurse Anne:  Those were your best pushes yet ... can you keep that up for the next round?

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Haha! I wonder how you would have reacted if Mike asked if you were going to be done in time for the UK basketball game. Like David!

Danielle said...

Hilarious! Wes and I determined that our minds flush out the delivery process so we'll be willing to have another baby. Let's face it, as you're laying on that bed, pushing with all you've got, waiting for a bowling ball to exit, having another baby seems comical.