Thursday, March 24, 2011

What's Cookin': Chicken Cacciatore

I love being able to whip up fast, weekday meals, but have been on a weekend cooking kick lately where I try out a new, more time consuming Sunday dinner.  Maybe it's related to nesting or knowing that being able to spend more than 10 minutes on a meal will be a thing of the past in a few months or maybe it's just the hormonal cravings, whatever it is, I'll take it because the results have been delicious!

A few weeks ago when there was still a definite chill in the air I got out my Real Simple Meals Made Easy cookbook and this recipe caught my eye.  I love a good one-pot meal that combines a protein and lots of veggies, so this went to the top of the list.  The hands-on time really isn't that bad and the end result is totally worth it!  I think that traditional sides with this dish are pasta or rice, but prego-brain was feeling mashed potatoes on this given Sunday, so that's what we went with : ) 

Click here to print the recipe and see a much better photo.  And, since (in Cincy, at least) we're supposed to drop back into the 40's this weekend, get your warm-me-up cooking on sooner rather than later, this is definitely worth your time.  



Chicken Cacciatore

Ingredients: 
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt
3/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 3 1/2- to 4-pound chicken, cut into pieces (I used about 2lbs of bone-in, skinless chicken thighs)
1/4 cup olive oil
1 medium yellow onion, roughly chopped
1 carrot, diced
1 celery stalk, diced
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
3 sprigs fresh thyme (I used about 1 tsp of dried Italian seasoning)
1 bay leaf
1 28-ounce can plum tomatoes
1/3 cup dry red wine
1/4 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, roughly chopped (optional)

Directions: 
In a shallow bowl, combine the flour, 1 teaspoon of the salt, and 1/2 teaspoon of the pepper. Pat the chicken dry with paper towels. Working in batches, lightly coat the chicken with the flour mixture, shaking off any excess.

Heat the oil in a Dutch oven or large saucepan over medium heat. Add some of the chicken to the pan. Cook until browned, 4 to 5 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate. Repeat with the remaining chicken.

Add the onion to the pan and cook for 2 minutes. Add the carrot, celery, garlic, thyme, and bay leaf. Cook for 10 minutes. Crush the tomatoes and stir them into the vegetables. Add the wine and the remaining salt and pepper and bring to a simmer.

Add the chicken, reduce heat, and cover. Simmer for 45 minutes, turning the pieces occasionally. Remove and discard the bay leaf. Stir in the parsley and serve on individual plates.

1 comments:

Danielle said...

Cooking bigger meals on Sunday nights has become my weekly routine as well. I just have more time to cook then and I like that I actually get to use some of the recipes I have bookmarked that take longer than 30 minutes.