Saturday, March 26, 2011

Making our House a Home: The Nursery (Part 2)

At long last I feel like I'm ready to share with you my new favorite room in the house ... Baby Kelly's nusery.  You may remember the wainscotting saga and let me tell you, it was totally worth the extra time and effort because I LOVE this room. 

LOVE!, LOVE!, LOVE!!! 

We were working with a room measuring 9'x9', so we literally did everything one step at at time.  Wainscotting, then painting, then the crib, then the dresser, then the glider and finally the accessories.  It was well worth the wait because I think it all fell into place perfectly!  I'm waiting on a rug to come back into stock and we'll be totally wrapped up.

Before ... neutral walls and a chairrail

As you walk into the room ...

Due to space issues, we went with a glider, but I actually LOVE what we ended up with,
I definitely take a break and glide myself to relaxation at least once a day in the nursery : )

Again, a change of plans, we went with a smaller dresser, but I am sooo happy with the choice,
this piece fits the room perfectly!

I started mentally planning this nursery before Baby Kelly was even conceived and was lucky enough to happen-upon a fanstastic little art studio on Etsy to help complete my vision.  Children Inspire Design has some of the neatest (and very affordable, I might add) artwork I saw during my extensive search. Click here, here or here to find them and browse for yourself.

I LOVE this wall art!  Although I bought a laser level for the project, it was defunct
and I wound up using my little 10" level for the entire project.  Surprisingly it only took
me about an hour and a roll and a half of poster tape to hang. 

These nursery rhyme prints were just perfect for both our color scheme and overall theme. 
Left:  The Cow Jumped Over the Moon
Center: Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star
Right:  You are My Sunshine

After centering the animal ABC cards on the focus wall, I realized I needed something above the crib
to fill space.  This mobile from Land of Nod was perfect!

Sunny Side : )

And finally, the bedding and crib, where our little one will lay his/her weary head after a long day of napping, pooping and feeding.  I love this set from Land of Nod and it was really the starting point for the entire room's design.

Stuffed animal collection already started courtesy of Papa (Grandpa Miller) and my trip to London
(both the white bear and elephant blanket are international acquisitions, thanks Cousin Leah for the elephant!)


Now all we need is a baby ... : )

5 comments:

Ms. Thomas said...

Jen!! It is ADORABLE!! Baby Kelly sure is lucky to have such a talented interior designing momma. Nice job!

Also, have you seen the new Flash Mobs show coming out? I think they made it just for you...

Philip Deskins said...

Damn! This is exactly how I wanted our nursery to look. Now I have to start from scratch! lol

Unknown said...

Jen, you are AMAZING!! The nursery looks fantastic! Baby Kelly has the perfect warm/loving room to call home.

Megan said...

Nicely done, Mama Kelly! I love the bedding and color scheme.
Can't wait to meet baby!

Jess said...

Hi Jen! Just clicked over to your blog from Danielle's (A Day in the Life). Your nursery is beautiful! LOVE the wainscoting—you did a fantastic job. Congrats on your upcoming little one, you must be so excited :)