Wednesday, May 15, 2013

The best itch to have

Today I celebrate seven years in remission from Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia (CLL), and this is one seven year itch that’s more than welcome in my world!! (You can read more about "my story" here) There’s no cure for CLL, so although today is a reminder to celebrate, it’s also a reminder to keep fighting. This reminder also comes every 3-months when I see my oncologist for a check-up, and the many times I've wondered if a bruise, bump, or any “off” feeling means I’m gearing up for another fight with this horrible disease. I've been lucky, unlike so many others, and I hope I've used my story to help and/or inspire some folks along the way. THANK YOU to my wonderful support network of friends and family who've been there for everything, listened when I needed an ear, provided a shoulder to cry on, and most importantly, have helped me to celebrate all the good there is in life!

Cancer doesn't discriminate against gender, age, race, or social status. If you’re able to do so, please consider making donations to the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society a regular event in your charitable giving; research funded by this organization is why I was treated with the latest and greatest in chemo “cocktails” and why I’m in remission today. Please also consider adding your name to the Bone Marrow Registry through Be the Match, a swab of your cheek is all it takes to be added to the list of potential lifesavers.


Nurse Liz and Doctor Komrojki, my faithful friends for 6 months of chemo and many check-ups before and after my treatments, aka my lifesavers!

0 comments: