Sunday, November 4, 2012

What's Cookin': Loaded Baked Potato Soup (Slow Cooker)

I knew on Halloween night it would be nice to have an easy, hot dinner ready to go before our neighborhood Halloween parade started at 5:30 and considering it was going to be a COLD night, I thought this hearty soup would fit the bill perfectly.  It doesn't get easier than this, folks. My only warning is that the recipe makes A LOT, which makes me feel better about the butter and cream.  I'll probably cut the recipe in half the next time I make it for just our family, unless the leftovers I freeze thaw well.  I like that you can add toppings you please and just love the creamy texture.  I even mixed peas and carrots into Anna's bowl, a sneaky way to get more veggies into to diet ; )  I have a feeling this will lead to many a winter root vegetable soup in our house, up next squash and sweet potatoes : )



Loaded (Slow Cooker) Baked Potato Soup
From The Crockin' Girls

6 Large Potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 Large Onion, diced
1 Quart Chicken Broth
3 Garlic Cloves, minced
1/4 Cup Butter (just throw half a stick-ish in the crock)
Salt and Pepper to taste
1 Cup Cream (I used half and half)
1 Cup Shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese (I used mild cheddar)

Directions
Combine all ingredients except for cream/ half and half, and cheese in your slow cooker.
Cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours (potatoes should be tender).
Mash potatoes until coarsely chopped and soup is slightly thickened (I used my immersion blender).
Stir in cream and cheese and keep warm until ready to serve. Garnish with toppings (bacon, chives, sour cream, cheese).

1 comments:

jess said...

that looks good... and i'm always looking for a good crock pot recipe...