Friday, May 4, 2012

What's Cookin': Cook Once, Eat Twice (or more!)

This may not be a new idea to my readers, but since I just thought of cooking this way a few months ago, I figure it's worth a post.  Remember here, here and here where I made these casseroles?  They're all delish, but they make enough to feed an army!  I love leftovers as much as the next person, probably more because of my thrifty nature, but there are only so many days you can eat the same meal for lunch or dinner (or both).  A few months ago a light bulb went off as I was making a baked ziti to take to a friend.  I'd portioned out the ziti into three casserole dishes, one that was just enough for her family, and two for us, one to eat the next day, one to freeze ... so, why not do that with all the larger casseroles I make?  Instead of one ginormous 9x13, I've started making two (or three) smaller 8x8 casseroles ... one to eat right away and one to freeze for a super easy weeknight meal ... or to pull out when a neighbor or friend is in need and your week doesn't allow for an extra meal to be cooked.  Easy peasy! 

The three I've linked above all freeze very well; the rules of thumb you'll want to follow are to double line with foil, label, use within 4-6 months and then thaw overnight or in a cold water bath the day of cooking.  I'd generally recommend you cook the dish covered with foil for half the cooking time and uncovered the other half (generally 40 - 45 minutes) ... or until warmed through and you just can't wait any longer : )

0 comments: