Saturday, May 7, 2011

What's Cookin': Lasagna Style Baked Ziti (Operation Stock the Freezer)

I have been chomping at the bit to start stocking our freezer for when the baby arrives, but a few things have held me back ... (1) Time ... and the fact that most dishes are only good for 3-4 months frozen, (2) Energy ... the last couple of weekends I've felt like a log barely able to roll out of bed much less cook a meal for just us, much less an extra meal, (3) Freezer space in our house is at a premium (we have a bottom freezer and I hate it ... love that we had new appliances when we moved in, but miss my side-by-side) and (4) Knowing that it has to stop raining at some point and we'll likely be able to grill often this summer. 

I finally took the plunge this past week and started with a dish that is a staple in my kitchen, Real Simple's Lasagna Style Baked Ziti.  Most of my six readers have received this very casserole from me after the birth of a child, so this should come as no surprise.  I've never actually eaten the frozen and reheated version, so I hope it's OK (and apologies to those that endured it if it wasn't or isn't).  I have, however, perfected the packaging over the years ... realizing the recipe makes a ton and most folks are only feeding themselves and maybe a house guest or two, I started portioning into two 9x12 containers, making it easier to cover with foil and close for storage. 

I'm going to cook my through a few more freezer meal recipes in my Real Simple Meals Made Easy cookbook, hitting on some soups for for summer lunches, and then PW's chicken spaghetti ... but, please pass any recipe recommendations you have along!



Lasagna Style Baked Ziti
1 lb penne or ziti
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 pound lean ground beef
kosher salt and black pepper
1 T Italian seasoning
1 24-26-ounce jar marinara sauce
1 10 oz package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
1 15 oz container ricotta
1/4 cup grated Parmesan
1 cup grated mozzarella

Heat oven to 400 degrees. Cook the pasta according to the package directions. Drain it and return it to the pot.

Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until they begin to soften, 4 to 5 minutes.

Add the beef, ¾ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper and Italian seasoning and cook, breaking up the meat with a spoon until it’s no longer pink, 5 to 6 minutes.

Toss the pasta with the meat mixture, marinara sauce, spinach, ricotta, and the Parmesan.

Transfer to a 9-by-13-inch baking dish or 4 large ramekins. Sprinkle with the mozzarella. Bake until the cheese melts, 12 to 15 minutes.

To Freeze:  Assemble, but do not bake, the casserole.  Cover tightly with two layers of aluminum foil.  Store for up to 3 months.

To Reheat:  Thaw overnight in the refrigerator or thaw partially in the microwave.  Cover and reheat in a 350 degree oven for 1 hour (less if you assemble into two dishes).  Uncover and heat until the cheese melts, about 10 minutes more. 

4 comments:

Lisa said...

I thought it was absolutely delicious! BTW you don't have a deep freezer? Nip it in the bud and get one. I so wish I had one! Where are you going to store all that breast milk?

Megan said...

I can also confirm the deliciousness of the ziti! I loved it!
Wish I had been so prepared when Iris showed up. :)

Danielle said...

It may be somewhat tiresome now, but you'll be SO thankful you did it when you can just pull a home-cooked meal straight out of the freezer once Baby Kelly is here. Smart girl!

Saralyn said...

That sounds so yummy! I told Dallas that my next purchase before the baby comes is a deep freeze. He, of course, rolled his eyes, but he will be so happy when I have it stocked with meals! What else are you making? I need ideas!