Friday, September 23, 2011

T-minus Two Weeks

D-day as I like to think of it is drawing near ... my return to work happens on October 6, two weeks from yesterday.  I'm dreading it, but am also hopeful and optimistic that the change will be good for everyone.  I'll desperately  miss spending my days with Anna, but if her reaction to the other babies at Gymboree class or during outings with our friends is any indication, she will thrive in a daycare environment.  I know that the structure will be good for me as well, but that's not to say the transition will be easy. 

I chose to return to work on a Thursday based on recommendations and also knowing that easing into the change would be beneficial all-around.  Anna will go partial days on Monday and Tuesday of that week while I head to doctor appointments, run errands, and cry in my car.  Wednesday will be a day dedicated to Anna and Mommy with lots of hugs, kisses, and cuddles.  I've been extremely lucky to have spent 20 full weeks at home and Anna will be 4 1/2 months old on her first day of "school."  I work for a wonderful firm with a fantastic leave policy and because we'd saved up appropriately, I was also able to take a little over three weeks of unpaid time. 

I've tried to take on a "never say never" approach to parenting, and that, combined with an extremely laid-back and happy baby, have served me well thus far. In that regard, I'm being optimistic about this next phase in our lives; although the tears I've shed each day this week would indicate otherwise.  I know Anna will be fine, I know that I'll survive the pangs of guilt and will acclimate to the new schedule and demands of working full time.  Most importantly, I know that I love my daughter and my family more than I could ever express and this is what's right for our family right now. 

3 comments:

Kristen R Hord said...

I've been having issues posting on people's pages but I figured out it works if I use anonymous (so its Kristen Hord) ...anyhow...I might be taking 10wk instead of 6wk due to my school being stupid but it works out b/c it will actually benefit me (come graduation)!! 20 weeks!! WOW!! That's awesome ..although I will admit I think I'd go stir-crazy!! haha

Danielle said...

It will be tough but you'll survive and it will just make seeing her cute little face that much sweeter!

Ms. Thomas said...

Anna is just plain lucky to have you as a mom. Whether you stayed at home with her or sent her to the army, there is no question that she is loved beyond belief. That's all that kids care about really.