Thursday, September 15, 2011

Letter to Anna: Month Four

Dear Anna,

What a whirlwind month for all of us! You travelled to your fourth and fifth states (MD and DE), enjoyed a week at the beach, dipped your feet in the Atlantic Ocean, swam in a pool for the first time, and spent four uninterrupted days with your Grandma and Grand-pap in Pittsburgh. Whew, I'm tired after just typing that sentence! As usual you excelled at travel and your easy-going, laid-back attitude made for a wonderful vacation.



You found your voice this month and we absolutely love hearing you talk! You were babbling here and there before we left for vacation and belly laughed for the first time during a dinner out in Bethany Beach; I almost cried sitting at the table while you chuckled. The next week, during your time in Pittsburgh, you had a lot to say and finally found a way to tell us, and in the sweetest possible way; your Grandma and Grand-pap were tickled pink to bear witness to this. You come from a long line of talkative women, so this is no surprise and I look forward to hearing your take on the world around you. On the flip side, I asked your Grandma to remind me how thrilled I was that you'd found your voice in a couple of years and again in about 13 years.

Your cheery disposition and great sleep habits have kept up and you are always a happy surprise to waiters and the other diners when we are out for a family meal. You continue to dabble in both taking a pacifier and sucking on your hand / fingers / thumb. I appreciate that you're keeping an open mind and don't blame you for not wanting to commit as it generally means that one way or another we're able to calm you down during the rare instances when you develop a case of the "fussies."


You're still our petite little girl, wearing mostly 0-3 month clothing, but growing out of more outfits each day, especially lengthwise, and with fall right around the corner I've been washing up lots of new outfits. You're very strong for your age (compared to other babies your size) and it's the cutest thing ever to see you in more grown up positions, such as sitting on my lap during church or while we eat out, and in your Jumperoo at home (where you are sandwiched between two hand towels). I went on a mini-shopping spree for you a couple of weeks ago; you needed new socks, but I went prepared with a return, a coupon, and a gift card. The Carter's store didn't know what hit them and I quickly realized just how addicted I am to baby girl clothing.


I'll have much less time for our casual errands and shopping soon … I'm returning to work in three weeks and am preparing myself for the worst, but hoping for the best. I can't imagine anyone giving you better care than me, but know you will thrive in day-care / school and, at some level, I'll enjoy the change of pace that work provides. In the meantime I'll been savoring every last minute, smile, coo, and snuggle that I have with you during these precious days.


I have truly enjoyed each and every day we've had together and it's simply amazing how quickly you are growing and changing. Your antics, expressions, laughs, and (now) words are what your father and I talk about even after you are fast asleep; to say we are obsessed with you is an understatement. Eventually you'll use your words to express how displeased you are with me (and no, you cannot wear that low-cut shirt in 12 years!), but I'll still love you more than you can imagine, will care for you unconditionally, and I hope I will always be the one person in your life you can talk to about anything.

Love,
Mom

4 comments:

Saralyn said...

Love, love, love this.

Danielle said...

13? Are you kidding, I'm already eating those words and Colin is only 4! I'm glad you guys had a great trip and Miss Annabelle cooperated.

Carol Mc said...

Sweet baby girl & Mom too!

Ms. Thomas said...

Must. See. Anna. Soon. And hear babbles.