Sunday, August 7, 2011

Storytime



We read to Anna daily and thanks to my Aunt Judy's visit two weeks ago, her book collection nearly doubled in size.  She loves books with bright colors and, luckily for us, isn't really concerned with story lines at this point.  That said, I can't help but notice how creepy some of the nursery rhymes are ... the old woman who lives in a shoe basically beats her kids, rock-a-bye baby sends an infant to it's death, and goosey goosey gander throws a man down the stairs for not saying his prayers ... good thing she won't be able to reason for several years.

4 comments:

Ms. Thomas said...

I bought Grimm's Complete Fairy Tales to have at my house for bedtime stories for Ben and Renee, and every time I read them one I'm like, "Damn. Good luck having sweet dreams after that!" They're good stories, but it's like Stephen King for babies!

Bruce Zewe said...

Jen, Diane and I visited the Kellys in Pittsburgh last week, and Linda told us about your blog. I enjoyed seeing the photos of Anna. I hope things are going well for you and Michael, and I'm sure you're both enjoying Anna. She's fortunate to have the both of you for parents. Take care of yourself. Best, Bruce Zewe

Megan said...

We have that same book of Nursery Ryhmes. I agree about the sinister turn most of these classics take. Makes you wonder how they've remained such a pillar of childhood literature.

Lisa said...

She's in the bumbo! Have you tried the exersaucer yet? Kate checked out the original Rapunzel story from the library just lately. It was pretty gruesome. Not the Disney version!