Thursday, August 11, 2011

Hope

There's only so much HGTV and Food Network that I can take during Anna's feedings and I've actually enjoyed the chance to watch the national evenings news during my maternity leave.  What an extra-special treat to catch this story on last night's broadcast of the NBC Nightly News!  For those new readers, this is HUGE for all cancer patients, but especially me as I'm in remission with CLL, a currently incurable form of cancer.  I'm in a holding pattern / waiting game until the cancer returns and this could mean a CURE when that time comes.  I've watched this clip no fewer than five times and can't tell you what pure and utter HOPE it gives me! 

Although I'm in remission, "the big C" (as I like to call it) is always in the back of my mind and is brought to the forefront during my quarterly oncologist visits.  Especially now, with Anna, I am more fearful than ever about a relapse and being able to be a Mom as well as fight off this nasty disease again.  As strong a front as I usually put up in this regard, part of me feels as though I was lucky enough to win the battle once, what if I don't have the fight again or if the stars don't all align? News like this give me intangible hope!

This is exactly why I do what I do with the Leukemia and Lymphoma society and why I choose to donate to cancer research via the LLS and ACS ... research leads to breakthroughs like this and those lead to cures! 

3 comments:

Danielle said...

That is wonderful, encouraging, and uplifting all at once.

Lisa said...

Awesome!!! (PS I worry about you all the time.)

Anonymous said...

SO AWESOME!

- kristin