Sunday, August 14, 2011

Letter to Anna: Month Three

Dear Anna,

I don't know how many more ways I can find to start your letter off with a version of the phrase "time is flying"; it feels like someone hit the fast forward button when you were born and I honestly can't believe you are three months old! I've started referring to you in months when people ask your age, mostly because the weeks were going by too fast to keep up, but also because you seem too much like a "big girl" now and not as much like a baby anymore.  

You continue to be one of the happiest babies I've ever known and are now smiling most of the time and on purpose. Within the last couple of weeks you've even started to squeal or "holler" at us. Usually when it seems we might be ignoring you, i.e. you'll let out a little squeal when you are ready to get up in the morning or from a nap, or if you've been in your swing longer than you'd like; as if to say "ummmm, excuse me, hello there, I'd like someone to take notice of me and my cuteness, please." Just like anything you do, there's a level of adorableness that makes you utterly impossible to resist.


You've become quite the seasoned traveller as we've made several trips to Lexington and one to Louisville this past month. You are wonderful in the car and I've come to really enjoy our Mother-Daughter road trips. This past month you met your (Great) Aunt Judy, your Great Great Grandmother and another Great Aunt, and we had a wonderful time showing you off. I especially loved the moments when your Aunt Judy and your Gigi were "sharing" you during their time at our house; you just smiled and smiled away, quite literally melting their hearts. The extreme amount of joy you bring to this family never ceases to amaze me. Remember this when you're older and wondering why everyone wants to hug and kiss all over you, it's because you are simply irresistible.


You are a wonderful, wonderful sleeper and I thank God every night for that gift he's given both of us. By baby standards you've been sleeping through the night (6+ hours) since about 6 weeks of age, but over the past couple of weeks you've been consistently going down at between 6:30 and 7pm and staying down until 6:30am or later. And you still take a great 2 hour morning nap … we're continuing to work on a dedicated afternoon nap ... I honestly think you resist because that's when you know Dad's about to come home and you don't want to miss a minute with him. 

Part of the reason you've become such a great sleeper is the discovery of your hands … you love to suck on them, often times trying to get an entire fist in your mouth and most recently singling out your thumb. I die of cute-overload when I go to get you up from a nap and you're sucking on a thumb. Some people have asked if we'll try to avert this habit, and to that I tell them that it's genetic with both of your parents being thumb-suckers and you were doomed.  Same with your long toes, I'm really sorry about that too. Since you're such a good baby, especially in the eating and sleeping areas, I think we'll let you slip by with one vice. 


When I wake you up from a nap or for the morning I always sing "You are my Sunshine" to you, except I change the last verse to say "Please don't take my Anna away." I want you to know that you truly are my sunshine, the brightest light in my life, and as your Mother I wish that your days are continually filled with the smiles and laughter you are just learning to express now. You shine so brightly on so many people and it is a true gift!

Love,
Mom

5 comments:

Lisa said...

So sweet! Nothing goes by faster than that first year. With each of mine I get "baby's all grown" blues when they turn a year old. And I think thumb suckers make the best sleepers too! I wished one of mine would have sucked their thumbs.

Danielle said...

You know a baby has to get some of his/her traits and habits from somewhere! The apple doesn't fall far from the tree (: I think my boys could always sense my rigidness and they were (are) probably a little more uptight because of it. Anna has taken your sense of calm to a whole new level!

Be careful what you wish for with the thumb sucking. I know it's cute and a great soother now but let me tell you, it's not easy breaking the habit! I've tried everything with Colin and NOTHING is working. I'm thinking we may have to get one of those metal contraptions from the dentist the next time we go.

And shame on you for giving your baby a faux-hock! Kidding, I wonder if her new hair will come back just as dark?

Jen said...

Danielle ...

I know, her hair is killing me these days, she totally has male pattern baldness, but thank goodness she still has some on the top. I was going to wait and mention that in next month's letter in hopes that it might start growing back in between now and then. I'm just happy her noggin is growing, I was worried we might have a pin-head there for awhile ... I just want happy, healthy and proportionate, ha.

And, the thumb-sucking does worry me a bit since you can't take it away like a pacifier ... but, there's also not a lot we can do right now, so I figure that we'll roll with the punches. Mike's Mom says he gave his up rather early, I hung on to the habit until I went to kindergarten and gave it up when my Mom told me that the other kids would make fun of me if I sucked my thumb in front of them ... maybe that would work with Colin? Every child is different, I have learned, so who knows : )

Carol Mc said...

Dear Jen,
ENJOY every second, it goes by too fast. She is a doll baby, she perfectly proportioned and she is absolutely devine in every way.
Love Aunt Carol

Ms. Thomas said...

My favorite you that I've ever known is this you that is a mother. Anna is so lucky. And so are those of us that get to love you both.