Sunday, August 15, 2010

What's Cookin': Strawberry Cake

I decided to veer from the traditional red velvet cake I usually make for my Dad on Father's day. This year the crew was once again coming to Cincinnati for the day and I was recreating a steakhouse meal - marinated flank steak, creamed spinach and roasted sweet potatoes - and thought a lighter dessert would be more appropriate. I recently started reading Annie's Eats and love, love, love her recipes. I knew I could count on her for this recipe and she delivered - the cake was delicious!



And, on a related side note. I use these annual Father's Day gatherings to entice my Dad and brother to try new dishes. This year was creamed spinach and they obliged me by trying bites, but I can't say that I converted them ... the ladies and Mike all loved it though! Recipe to follow in a future post.

2 comments:

Danielle said...

The cake looks great! I love Annie too and can always count on her recipes as being winners. Keep trying with the boys, they may eventually come around. I converted Wes, so it is possible!

Anonymous said...

When I first saw this I freaked out thinking I forgot Father's Day until my calendar calmed me down. haha. The cake looks fabulous, Jen. Congrats on another successful dish.