Sunday, August 22, 2010

What's Cookin': Chicken Salad

My friend Whitney's Dad, John Browning, makes the BEST chicken salad I've ever tasted, and I love chicken salad. He makes the kind with nuts and grapes and general homemade goodness. He also makes a killer homemade pimento cheese ... and her Mom makes homemade bread to die for. Anytime I visit them in Greenville, KY I have the time of my life ... and walk away 10 pounds heavier to prove it.

There are certain recipes that just don't taste the same if you try to replicate on your own, this is one of those, another is my grandmother's potato salad; she's passed, but my uncle makes a pretty dang close version for me each time I'm in Lexington. In those cases I prefer to enjoy the "original" as a rare treat, but I made an exception as I was hosting a baby shower last November for my step-sister and was pretty sure chicken salad croissants were a requirement. So, I e-mailed Johnny for the recipe; in his response he offered to make it for me as he'd likely be in town to see his son coach the LCA football team to the state championship that same weekend. I mean, what a sweetheart!

I still need to upload pictures from that baby shower as I have a few other recipes to share, but recently made chicken salad croissants, summer salad and berry shortcake for a ladies lunch. I'm not kidding that everyone that has tasted this recipe comments it's the best they've ever had ... and it's soooo easy.

n
John Browning's Chicken Salad:
  • Boil 3 - 4 large chicken breasts with a stick of celery or two, letting the chicken cool before chopping.
  • Chop the chicken into large pieces and pulse in a food processor, don't let it get too fine, leave it chunky.
  • Use light mayo and mix it to your liking with quartered seedless red grapes, finely diced celery and chopped pecans.
  • The secret ingredient is sugar. Add a few teaspoons to taste.
  • Add salt and fresh ground pepper to taste.
  • Best if served within 1-2 days, but let sit for a few hours or overnight before assembling sandwiches.

1 comments:

Ms. Thomas said...

Love the look of the blog Jen! And I'm love coming here to visually feast on things I can't eat. You're so good at Martha!