Monday, July 25, 2016

Threenager support group

As sweet as she may be, Charlotte has given this pregnant mama a total run for her money the last few months and has worn me down in ways I didn't even know were possible. I've had more breakdowns than I can count, have raised my voice about things I never thought I'd have to verbalize, and have felt like a parental failure many times over.

I had a breakdown over the weekend when I couldn't get my children to rest at my Mom's house. Afterall we'd had a "calm" morning that included: fighting to get them dressed in Cincinnati to drive to Lexington; getting yelled at because the TV screen in the car wasn't in the exactly correct position; being told I didn't pack the right kind of snacks; not wanting to put sunscreen on; cleaning up poop in a swim diaper after which my child refused to let me wipe up and instead squatted and scooted her bare, poopy bottom on the floor of a public pool restroom; packing the wrong hairbrush; not letting them play for long enough; not giving them 10000 chances to prove they could nap together (I gave up at 5) ... the list could go on and on.

Most days I'm honestly surprised no one has called CPS on me.

Then I read this: To the Lady at the Pool Who Spoke Up During One of My Lowest Parenting Moments

And it couldn't have come at a better time. I'm doing my best most days, but it's HARD. I'm a million months pregnant and physically and mentally exhausted all.of.the.time. But it takes a village and I'm thankful for mine. Thank you to my Mom and to Mike for reminding me at my lowest (and usually when I'm ugly crying) that you support me and see that I'm trying. Thank you for verbalizing what I need to hear instead of assuming I know; words mean a lot at times like this and I hope I can provide the same support to the next Mama I see struggling.


0 comments: