Saturday, July 2, 2016

Me against the lobby

I'm not sure if I have any readers left out there, so this may be a safe place for me to vent, but apologies if I offend anyone with this post and my views ... which are just that, my own personal views.

I can't stay quiet any longer. I've long hovered between our two political parties and have leaned further left than right for most of the 19 years I've been able to vote. That said, over the last few years, and especially the last few months, I've just about given up on the Republican party and this election cycle and the recent rejection of four common-sense gun control policies by our Senate have about done me in.

I'm personally pro-life, but I certainly don't support someone else taking away my right to choose how I manage my own body; I support equal rights for ALL regardless of race, gender, or sexual orientation, including marriage equality; I support responsible gun ownership, but would like to see responsible measures taken to ensure that background checks are universal and uniform, that guns aren't available to those that have no business owning a gun, and that assault weapons are used in combat situations only; I believe in freedom of religion, but do not feel that religious views have any place in government. I believe in common sense, humanity, and the rights of all. But then I turn on the news and hear about differing viewpoints and an appalled at what is coming out of our leaders mouths, how they are voting, and how easily they are swayed by money and lobbyists (I'm looking at you NRA!).

I sat at my computer last week and I got fired up; I tried to think of ways I can make a difference and make my political views matter. I started by e-mailing both my Senators; to one I shamed him for the way he voted against the gun control measures that 90% of the country supports; and to the other I commended him. To both I noted that I will "Remember in November." Being more vocal to our elected officials is part of the equation, but not all. The bigger part is living in a way that shows my beliefs in a loving and compassionate way such that maybe I'll help open the minds of others to a different, more common sense and compassionate way of thinking; to create a world that is full of more love, less hate, and equality. What causes are most important to you and how to do you support them? Maybe I'll join you!

You don't have to be with me, let's agree to disagree if needed, but let's also move toward a better future for our children, our country, and our world.

0 comments: