Thursday, April 28, 2011

A spoonful of sugar ... (and, hello my name is Jen and I'm addicted to Peanut Butter)

In lieu of our monthly Junior League Provisional meeting this week, our group of 20 to 30-something young professionals with a desire to better Cincinnati through volunteerism were asked to serve as a focus group for Kroger.  They need us to taste test .... wait for it .... ice cream.  Say hello to the dream of a pregnant woman.  They held a similar event a few months ago for appetizer foods, but due to work travel I wasn't able to attend.  Don't worry though, as soon as I heard about this event my calendar was cleared. 

We were instructed to eat dinner before arriving, so I inhaled a granola bar before leaving work.  I even thought ahead enough to bring a change of clothing ... I mean, who wants to be taste-testing with slacks and heels on ... jeans and flip flops are so much more conducive to letting the taste buds do their work : )

In addition to an appetizer station (cheese, crackers and fruit in case of brain freezes) and a beverage station (wine, soda and water) there were three tasting tables with about seven varieties of ice cream each.  We were asked to sample and rate a minimum of four per table.  Being the over achiever I am, I went 7 for 7 at the first table.  And, I fell in love.  My all-time favorite of the night was Triple Peanut Butter; peanut butter ice cream, swirled with peanut butter and chocked full of pieces of Reese Cups.  I seriously almost died and went to heaven.  I may or may not have sampled three small scoop cups of that variety.  The Double Vanilla and Tiramisu varieties were my other faves, also from the first table.  I only sampled 4 or 5 at each of the other two tables and nothing really struck my fancy quite much.  I guess it was love at first bite ...

So, moral of the story is that I LOVE focus groups.  Especially ones that give me a meeting credit, involve ice cream and visiting with friends I've come to love over the past 9 months.  I also realized I may have a problem with peanut butter.  The amount we've gone through in this house over the past 9 months is a bit scary ... better enjoy it while I have a reason to be tipping the scale : )

And now, if you'll excuse me, I'm off to find this delectible delight in the grocery store ...

2 comments:

Danielle said...

Yum! Maybe if we would have gotten to do something fun like that in JL, I would have stayed in.

So were these all Kroger brand or did they not reveal the brand?

Megan said...

Mmm, peanut butter. Try it on a whole wheat bagel. That was my go to snack last trimester and even my snack while laboring away on the sofa that night.