Friday, April 1, 2011

Soundtracks: Baby Kelly Needs One!

A few weeks ago as I was getting my hair cut (I am trying out long side bangs, btw) my hairdresser and I were chatting about how listening to the 80's and 90's channels on Sirius can make us feel seriously old (pun intended, ha!).  That led to me remembering that when I was a kid my Dad listened to mostly 50's and 60's, aka oldies, stations and how that was probably due to the clean-cut nature of the songs ...

Me:  It's crazy to think that "oldies" to my kids will be 80's and 90's music ...

My hairdresser:  Yeah, but how lucky are they?!?!

Me:  So true, so true!

That leads me to my request of my six readers.  Yes, I think I may be up to six, ha, and, yes, I'm counting the family members that I direct her to see my bump and nursery pictures ...

So, my friend Whitney gave me the great idea to purchase an iPod for Baby Kelly and stock it with soothing tunes (she did the same for her cutie pie new nephew).  The family I nannied for in College had a CD player in the nursery and we rotated discs on a regular basis; it was wonderful, keeping both caregiver and baby relaxed.  The iPod has been purchased for BK and we even have an iHome already placed in the nursery.  Now I need to stock the play list ... what suggestion do you have?  Give me songs, artists or entire albums, I'll take it all.  We already have the likes of Alison Kraus, Norah Jones, James Taylor, Carole King and some Dave Matthews lined up, but I anticipate that there will be many hours spent listening to these tunes, so we need a good selection for everyone's sanity.

8 comments:

Danielle said...

The version of Somewhere Over the Rainbow that is sung by some Hawaiian dude is supposed to be guaranteed to soothe any baby to sleep. Seriously! I read that when Colin was a baby but sadly, he proved them wrong ):

Megan said...

Iris took a liking to Carolina Liar, the entire album. I had an iHome in her room too and we would dance around to that man's soothing voice.
Also, there is an album called Sleeping Baby, full of a bunch of random, ambiguous sounds, i.e. vacuum, washer, dryer etc. Worked like a charm!

Lisa said...

For Kate's first birthday we got her a toddler ipod which David loaded with tunes. He did lots of theme songs from kids' shows, like Sesame St. Kids always love classics like Wheels on the Bus, Itsy Bitsy Spider, etc. I think Jackson 5 songs make good kids' songs. All my kids loved Say Goodnight and Silent Night (yes the Christmas song) when they were babies. Of course I still have the vacuum cleaner sounds cd that we got for Caroline if you're interested. Lol!

Philip Deskins said...

Phil's Top Ten Soothing Songs

"Moonlight Serenade" by Glenn Miller
"Slip Slidin' Away" by Paul Simon
"Biggest Part of Me" by Ambrosia
"God Only Knows" by the Beach Boys
"Sentimental Lady" by Bob Welch
"Sailing" by Christopher Cross
"On and On" by Stephen Bishop
"Into the Mystic" by Van Morrison
"My Love" by Wings
"Ribbon in the Sky" by Stevie Wonder

Got more if you need em. Love that 70's soft rock

Anonymous said...

You can never go wrong with Michael Jackson's "Human Nature"

Jennifer (Phil's wife)

Ms. Thomas said...

That's a great lineup Phil! My LA neighbors had a great album of baby songs adapted from Queens of the Stone Age and other metal bands. It was awesome to listen to through the baby monitor. I just tried to find it on iTunes and whoa! There are loads of lullaby renditions of songs by Queen, Smashing Pumpkins, Journey, Guns N Roses, U2, the Beatles, so many more. Brilliant business idea... and nursery iPod idea!

Ms. Thomas said...

Just found another one... Sing-a-Longs and Lullabies from the Film Curious George. Jack Johnson and Matt Costa. It's goooood.

Ms. Thomas said...

Now I'm feeling compelled to make BK a mixed tape. I'll keep the explicit lyrics to a minimum. :)