Sunday, September 12, 2010

What's Cookin': Minestrone Soup

To me fall means soups and I love anything that only involves one pot! Amber popped up for a visit this weekend and I treated her to a ladies lunch including minestrone soup, fresh bread and strawberry shortcake. We had a great time catching up and getting our shop on at IKEA. Although she threatened to kidnap one or both of the cats, they are both currently rumbling at my feet, so I am sad to report she was unsucessful : )

n
Minestrone Soup

2 t olive oil
1 onion, diced
4 stalks celery, diced
3 carrots, diced
1 zucchini, diced
1 yellow squash, diced
1 T Italian seasoning
2 14 oz cans petite diced tomatoes
1 10 oz can tomato juice
2 c vegetable broth
1 14 oz can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 14 oz can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
1 c any small pasta
Salt and pepper to taste
Parmesan cheese for sprinkling
Fresh chopped basil for sprinkling

Heat oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add onion, celery, carrots and italian seasoning. Sauté for 5 minutes or until vegetables begin to soften. Add zucchini and squash. Sauté for 2 more minutes. Add tomatoes, tomato juice, broth and beans. Cover and bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Add pasta and simmer for 15 minutes more. Salt and pepper to taste. Serve in bowls sprinkled with parmesan cheese.

** This post is dedicated to my phriend phil and his new vegan lifestyle ... minus the cheese, this recipe has you written all over it! **

4 comments:

Philip Deskins said...

I might try this. I love Minestrone soup. (minus the cheese of course) Keep up the good work!

Jen said...

Phil - I was actually thinking as we were eating breakfast this morning that I needed to dedicate that post to you, since minus the cheese, it was a vegan recipe. I had no idea you even knew I had a new blog - welcome, friend!

Lisa said...

I'm giving the vegan thing a test run. I'll have to give this a try. I love soup.

Ms. Thomas said...

This is soooooo good! I've eaten it every day for lunch and it's still not old. Thanks for sending me home with a bowl Jen. Next time I expect basil beer bread. ;)