Thursday, June 6, 2013

Letter to Charlotte: Month three

Dear Charlotte,

You’re a quarter of the way through your first year of life, wow, time is flying!  You are still the sweetest and one of the happiest babies on the block and I just love your gentle personality.  It’s been amazing over the past month to see you start the transformation from newborn to infant and I’d forgotten how quickly some of those milestones are hit during the first year of life.  You've found your tongue and love to blow bubbles while wiggling all about.  You've become a little bit of a drooler and we may need to add bibs to your list of accessories sooner rather than later.  You’re also working on finding that thumb and/or working your entire fist into your mouth.  Apparently a hand makes a decent snack when you’re in between feedings.  I still swaddle you on occasion, but mostly you like to sleep with your hands free and I know it’s only a matter of time before that thumb has a permanent location in your mouth. 


Physically you’re growing and you started rolling over consistently over the past month.  You love activity time as well as tummy time, and some days I swear you think you’re doing the same exercise video I just completed and are mimicking my push-ups, or trying to do squat-thrusts while turning yourself around in circles on your mat.  Nothing is sweeter than spending time as you look around your world.  I wish I could spend every minute with you, but nothing warms my heart more than returning to your side and seeing a big grin.  You love to tell me all about what you've seen and done too and your little coos are simply the sweetest. 

Although you love to be held, and I wish I had more time to sit and do that outside of nursing, you also enjoy your independent time and aren't afraid to let us know when it’s time to chill out with some big wiggles and a little fuss.  You still don’t cry much and have adopted what I like to think of as a warning system for when you need something.  I get one small fuss that indicates you’re either wet, hungry, or overly tired, then a two cry fuss that indicates my time is running out, and finally a small cry that tells me you are 100% serious.  Even if we get to the “three alarm” stage, you’re easy to appease and are always excited when it’s finally your turn. 


You had your first few independent days this month as I had to leave the house for a bit.  One day your Dad stayed with you and you guys had a blast.  The second day you had a baby-sitter and you were a perfect angel.  Your Dad and I went to a wedding and enjoyed our first date night last weekend while you and Anna enjoyed time with your Gigi, again, you were the perfect charge.  You've had a handful of bottles and do wonderfully with them, which comes as no surprise because you love to eat.  We’re still exclusively nursing with no issues, those are often the best parts of my day. 


You’re a great sleeper and although I don’t like to speak of it too often and jinx anything, I will document that you started sleeping 12-hour shifts (about 7am to 7pm) right at 10 weeks.  This is the same time that your sister started sleeping similar stretches and although I was prepared to continue our overnight visits, I was more than happy to get the extra sleep myself.  I still let you cat nap as needed in the mornings and attempt a longer nap that coincides with Anna’s in the afternoon.  You never cry when you wake up and I’m never 100% sure if you’re awake or asleep when I hear you over the monitor. 


Your sister simply adores you, and although I know that the roles will be reversed in a matter of time, right now she wants to be involved in everything you do.  She loves to lay next to you when we’re taking your monthly pictures and when you’re hanging out on your activity mat.  She covers you with a blanket no fewer than 10 times a day.  She asks where you are if you aren't in the room, monitors your status in the car (“Mommy, she’s AWAKE”), and loves to give you hugs, kisses, and attempt to pick you up.  You grin when you see her and I’m so happy that you’re forming a bond so early. 


We’re entering my last full month of maternity leave and I know that my return to work next month will be bittersweet.  On the one hand, I know that I’m a better Mom because I work outside of the home, but on the other hand, I will miss you dearly.  Being a Mom has totally changed the way I think about everything.  Whenever a tragedy strikes our nation or the world, my instinct is to think about how I would protect you if we’d been involved.  I want to shield you from disasters, from harm, from hurt feelings, from boo-boos, and I never want to see you cry.  But, even if that was possible, it’s not my job.  My job is to teach you how to be a strong woman and then let you fly on your own.  

It’s nothing short of amazing to watch a personality grow and develop in a tiny human and I know, without a shadow of doubt, that you’re going to be something special.  I knew that before you were born and watching you grow has only confirmed this.  I absolutely cannot wait to see what you do in the next minute, the next hour, the next day, the next year.  I will NEVER tire of hearing about and celebrating your accomplishments, whether they be rolling over for the first time, getting an A on your spelling test, graduating college, or getting married.  Please always remember that as much as I want you to grow into a strong, confident woman, more than anything, I want you to know that I’m your biggest fan and that my arms and ears are ALWAYS open. 

n
Love, 
Mom

1 comments:

Carol Mc said...

Finally, I received snuggles, and coos from this little angel. She is as sweet as you describe here. Two perfect girls.