Friday, October 26, 2012

What's Cookin': Italian Meatloaf and Mac 'n' Cheese

Given that we all get home from work roughly around 5:00pm and eat dinner at 6:00pm so that we can make Anna's bedtime of 7:00pm-ish, dinner has literally turned into a mad dash to the finish most nights.  I shop on Saturday or Sunday, and I've always chopped/ prep anything I can that day so that it's ready the night of meal preparation, and have a focus now on meals that can be made in advance, using our slow cooker, and "cooking once, eating twice."  That said, if our schedule permits, I try to cook what I call a "big meal" on Sunday.  This past week that entailed meatloaf, mac 'n' cheese, and sauteed zucchini.  But, not just any meatloaf, italian meatloaf ... basically a big meatball ... and not just any mac 'n' cheese, a relatively healthy version of the dish that I make for Anna often.  I didn't realize until we were sitting down to eat that this is one of Mike's favorite meals and now I feel bad for not adding it to the rotation more often. 

I found the meatloaf recipe via Michael Chiarello on the Food Network waaaaay back in 2006 when I had time on Saturday mornings to sit and peruse cooking shows before getting my day started.  I now record PW's show and get excited when I happen to see an episode of Barefoot Contessa, but otherwise there's not a ton of cooking TV in my life right now, unless you count Diners Drive-ins and Dives that we somehow get sucked into almost every Friday night.  The mac 'n' cheese comes from my Betty Crocker Healthy New Choices cookbook that I bought years ago, and it's one I'd recommend over and over.  I think I'm accidentally raising a vegetarian ... Anna just doesn't really like meat ... we use a lot of whole grain pasta and cheese and attempt beans to get her protein, so, mac 'n' cheese is a staple in her diet.  I feel better that this version doesn't pack nearly as much fat as other recipes, I can control the ingredients, I can use the pasta of my choosing, AND, I can load it with veggies so that it's a complete meal.  OK, that's enough on the back stories, here are the recipes:

Italian Meatloaf
Adapted from:  Michael Chiarello on the Food Network

2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 red pepper, seeded, small diced
1 onion, small diced
3 cloves finely chopped garlic
1 pound ground beef
2 eggs
3/4 cup bread crumbs (I use italian breadcrumbs)
1 cup grated Parmesan
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons chopped basil leaves
1 tablespoon chopped parsley leaves (optional, I hardly ever have parsley)
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 cup marinara sauce (plus a little more for serving)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a medium saute pan over medium heat and add the peppers, onions and garlic. Saute until just soft, remove to a plate and cool.  (Don't skip this step, this allows the veggies to sweat out most of thier liquid and keeps your meatloaf from becoming a totally soggy mess.  I did this early in the morning and put the mixture in the fridge until I was ready to mix the remaining ingredients)

When the peppers and onions are cool, combine all of the remaining ingredients together except for the marinara. Pack the meat mixture into an oiled loaf pan, if you don't have a loaf pan, form the meat mixture into a loaf shape on an oiled oven tray or baking dish. Top with the marinara, making sure to spread evenly over the top.  (I mixed the meatloaf in the early afternoon and kept covered in the fridge until ready to cook and spread the marinara on top right before placing in the oven)

Bake for approximately 50 to 60 minutes or until an instant-read thermometer registers 160 degrees F in the middle of the meatloaf. Remove from the oven and let rest for 5 minutes. Slice and serve with extra marinara sauce on the side.

Sauteed onions, red pepper and garlic ... is there anything better?!?!

The prime suspects

Excuse the fact that the food is not "perfectly staged" ... it sure tasted perfect!

Easy Mac 'n' Cheese
Slightly adapted from:  Betty Crocker's Healthy New Choices

8 oz pasta (we love Barilla's mini wagon-wheels for Anna)
1 cup skim milk
1 T  butter
2 T all purpose flour
1/4 t salt
1/4 t pepper
1 c shredded cheese (I use mild cheddar)

Cook and drain pasta according to package directions.

Combine milk, flour, butter, salt and pepper in a saucepan and heat to a low boil, stirring with a whisk constantly.  Boil and stir 1 minute.  Stir in cheese until melted.  Add pasta and stir until hot.  (If making for Anna I load it up with peas or other veggies as well!)

Optional breadcrumb topping:  Place pasta in a casserole dish.  Combine 1/2 c italian breadcrumbs and 1 T melted butter, stir with a fork until combined.  Heat at 350 degrees until lightly browned. 

0 comments: