Sunday, April 22, 2012

What's Cookin': Black Bean Burgers

I'm by no means a vegetarian, nor do I think I ever could be (except for that one Lent 11 years ago when I gave up meat) ... ut, there are many days I don't eat meat and don't miss it.  I think any carnivore can agree that a burger is just better when there's a little fat involved.  You need juices when you have a burger.  That said, I love to find healthier alternatives to the many nights during the summer that we decide to grill out and Mike wants a burger.  I love a good turkey or chicken burger, but I also love a good black bean burger and had never tried my hand at making them until a few weeks ago.  I didn't realize until I was pattying them up that Mike had never tried a BBB ... (come on, did you thnk I'd leave that acronym hanging?).  Gasp.  Seriously??  As he stood there and watched the process I was saying a silent prayer that these turn out successfully.   

And, boy, did they! 

Stop the presses and make these burgers immediately.  They were the cat's meow, the bees knees, the creme de la creme of black bean burgers!  We topped ours with provolone cheese, a ripe tomato slice and avocado, none of which hurt the cause.  I have three patties in the freezer and I hope they thaw and cook up as good as the fresh batch ... I'll keep you posted.  And, the best endorsement I can give you came from Mike when he said "these aren't bad, I wouldn't mind having one again."  : )

That there is a baked sweet potato next to my burger, I may be a *tad* obsessed with them of late : )

Black Bean Burgers
as adapted from Annie's Eats

¾ cup seasoned breadcrumbs
1 T EVOO
2 (15 oz.) cans black beans, drained and rinsed, divided
2 large eggs
1 tsp. ground cumin
½ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
1 red bell pepper, stemmed, seeded and finely diced (I had a green pepper on hand)
¼ cup fresh cilantro, minced  (omitted ... I am NOT a fan of cilantro)
1 shallot, minced

Place 2½ cups of the beans in a large bowl and mash with a potato masher or a fork until mostly smooth. In a separate bowl, combine the eggs, 1 tablespoon of the oil, cumin, salt and cayenne. Whisk to blend. Add the egg mixture, toasted panko, the remaining ½ cup beans, bell pepper, cilantro and shallot to the bowl with the mashed beans. Stir together until evenly combined.

Divide the mixture into 6 equal portions, about ½ cup each. Lightly pack into 1-inch thick patties. (At this point the patties can be covered tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerated for up to 24 hours before cooking.) Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Carefully lay half of the patties in the skillet and cook until well browned on both sides, about 8-10 minutes total. Transfer the cooked burgers to a plate, tent with foil, and repeat with the remaining oil and bean patties. Serve warm.

0 comments: