Wednesday, January 4, 2012

2012 ... the year of Reduce. Reuse. Recycle.

I generally make the usual blanket resolutions with each New Year. Lose weight. Read more. Be charitable with my time and money. And make every effort to be happy regardless of the situation. This year I decided to be more specific in an effort to hold myself accountable, but I wouldn't necessarily call these resolutions ... more a change in lifestyle mentality ... so, here goes, my goals for 2012, insprired by and packaged into a tag line that should ring a bell. 

Reduce.

My stress level. My resolution here is to hire a house cleaner to come to our home once a month. I've always resisted the urge to hire someone in this regard, but I think I'm ready. I have a few names and just need to make the calls. I've made great strides in accepting that things will never be totally in order in our home again, but I just can't bear spending my time scrubbing tile when there's a cute little peanut in the other room just waiting to play games with her Mama. I honestly think I'd be fine if someone just came to clean our bathrooms ... I don't really mind the rest of the house, but have developed a passionioate hatred for my shower and toilets.

My waistline. I'm hovering about 10lbs over my pre-pregnancy weight, which was about 10lbs over my ideal body weight and I'd like to get it off before Anna's first birthday, which coincides nicely with my brother's wedding where I'm a bridesmaid. I'm watching portions, working on evening snacking, and aiming to work out 2-3 times a week, which will mean committing to a wake-up call of 5am 1-2 times on weekdays.

Reuse.

Books. Going along with my standard goal of reading more, I want to resist the urge to physically buy any books. Between loaners from my mother-in-law and friends, and the library, there should be a minimal need and will also be pocketbook friendly : )

Anna's Attire. We have very generous friends and family and so far I've had to purchase very few items for Miss Anna in the clothing department, but when I do, I often find it easy to run to Carter's or Old Navy or diapers.com and buy new duds. I'd like to make an effort to check out consignment stores in our area and/or look into a swap program with friends.

Recycle.

This one is actually just what it says, I want to be better about recycling in an effort to maintain and build a better tomorrow for our future. Our household is fairly good about this already, but I really want to hit this point home (pun intended) ... actions include purchasing a bigger recycling can for the kitchen, putting the currently used and smaller can upstairs, inspecting everything that goes into the trash, and putting reusable grocery bags in Mike's car ... and then (quite possibly my biggest challenge) actually remembering the bags when we leave our car. 
n
So, there you have it, my goals for 2012. I promise I'll be back with pictures of our little angel and stories of our wonderful holidays later this week, I've got tons of post ideas swirling around in my head, I just need to download pictures and figuratively put pen to paper. 

This little girl's resolution is to expand her palate beyond
purees, stuffed animals and dragonflies : )

5 comments:

Saralyn said...

Love it! I also think I am going to hire someone to clean our house. It's just not what I want to devote my time to these days. :)

Carrie Drake said...

Great goals! We just hired a cleaning service this past fall. It was my anniversary gift. It is wonderful. they come every 4 weeks, and it is so nice to not have to worry about the serious house work. Then you really do have more time with your sweet baby girl!
Happy New Year!!!!

Danielle said...

I agree with everyone else, once you see what life is like with a housekeeper, you'll never go back! I love the day she comes and the feeling of walking into a spotless house (that lasts 2.5 seconds).

Love your list. Very well said and good measures for anyone to adopt.

My goal for 2012 is to finally get to meet Miss Anna!! And to answer your question, we'll be neighbors with Kara, so you can kill 2 birds with 1 stone when you come to visit (:

Ms. Thomas said...

Awesome list Jen, and I fully endorse you hiring a cleaning person. Life is too short and Anna is too precious!

As for your reuse, Leiah got the most adorable outfit for Lilly at a consignment store for $3.50! That's $1.75 for pink Osh Kosh overalls and $1.75 for an adorable knit sweater.

When we were in LA I got a good taste of reuse and recycle. I never buy gladware anymore... I just save those awesome containers that come with Chinese food. We try to buy canned or glass sodas and sparkling waters instead of bottles because the caps of plastic soda and water bottles are not recyclable. No more paper plates in our household either. In fact, it'd been so long since I used one, I forgot they were even an option when I was at my mom's house. We also got a countertop compost thing from World Market for Christmas. I was using an empty coffee can for a couple years, but now we're classy. It's amazing how much less garbage we have from composting and reusing/repurposing. (I use old glade candle jars in my medicine cabinet to hold razors and makeup brushes and ointments and stuff.)

Oh, and if you save your plastic shopping bags when you forget your other ones, send them my way. A lady who works with my mom crochets them into light weight, insulating sleep mats for the homeless. It takes 7,000 bags for one mat, so we're making collecting them a group effort.

Ok, climbing off my soap box, but not before I give you a high five for these awesome resolutions.

Me, I'm just cutting back to 2 hours of TV a day. I know, I'm gross.

Lisa said...

One of the first things I want to do when I start working full time is hire someone to help clean the house. Little as our house is, I still hate housework!