Monday, November 14, 2011

Letter to Anna: Month Six

Dear Anna,

Wow! You're half a year old today! I wouldn't have believed it if someone had told me six months ago what you are doing today; it's simply amazing how much you've grown from both a physical and developmental perspective. You're still our petite little girl, but are filling in and rounding out in so many ways, both literally and figuratively.


You mastered rolling from your back to your tummy this month and are *so* close to sitting up on your own that it's crazy. I'm savoring these days where you're still relatively immobile because I know that crawling is right around the corner and soon you'll literally be giving us a run for our money. EVERYTHING is going in your mouth these days, toys, blankets, hands, and especially feet. Although we see a lot of drool, there aren't any tooth-buds that we can feel. You are intrigued by and in love with the cats, and Milo has become one of your best friends. He is thrilled by the attention you give to him and you generally grasp that you should be gentle with him and spend time "petting" him each day. It's one of the cutest things ever to see your excitement when he's near and it's only a matter of time before you are two are thick as thieves and you're dropping food to him from your high chair or inviting him to your room for a tea party.


We started you on solids this month and it came as no surprise that you picked up on eating like a "big girl" in no time. I'm hoping to make all of your baby food and mastered acorn squash thus far, which you loved. We'll be moving on to peas, sweet potatoes, and apples soon. So far you've been taking an evening meal ("dinner"), but we're set to add "breakfast" to your daily routine this week. With the love of food shared by your Mom and Dad, we doubt you'll find a food you snub, but time will tell.





You are one of the stars in your class at school and you love each of your teachers. You spend most of your time with Miss Patty, but I'm pretty sure the others fight over you during the day; they tell me each day that you are one of the most gentle, laid back, and happy babies they've worked with. You've made a few friends, Kaylee, who is two-weeks younger than you and also has roots in Pittsburgh, and Connor, who is two-months younger than you (not that you can tell by his size, he's going to be a big boy!). You've learned to share and I've been told you often times offer a sock to one of your friends (yummm!!). And then there was the one incident where you decided halfway through your nap that the crib room should become the party room and were pulled out for excessive chit-chat (gee, I can't imagine where you get that trait from). It's a real treat to see your excitement when you arrive in the mornings and the best part of my day is when I see that ear-to-ear smile as I arrive to take you home.


You were baptised this month and we hosted most of your immediate family at our home after the service. It was a sight to see how many people love and care about you and have agreed to support us as we raise you in the church. Faith in God is something your Father and I grew up with and is what has gotten us each through the trying times in our lives. So much of what we want for you as you grow includes traditions and beliefs that were formed with our families many years ago.

My only regret is that your grandparents weren't able to witness your special baptism day, especially your namesake, my maternal grandmother. It's not just that particular day, it's all of your days that I wish she could be a part of and I find myself thinking of her often and wondering what she would think of you and how much joy you'd bring to her. I can still remember so much about her, including the little things, like the way she answered the phone or called out "Hello Sweetheart" when I went to her house; even after so long I can still hear her voice in my head. She gave me more perspective in life and passed along more wisdom than I'll ever be able to convey to you.

Your Gigi gave me a book this month that says it best, "A mother's relationship with her daughter starts before the beginning, in fact, it starts in the mother's own childhood. Because the childhood she has determines the childhood she'll give her own daughter … Mothers know that love is forever. And that's the lesson their daughters can't wait to pass along." I want to share SO much of my past with you and feel so blessed each day that your Gigi and my Nana made my past so very much worth sharing with you. In the meantime, I'm going to live in the future and love you more than you will ever imagine.

Love,
Mom

4 comments:

Danielle said...

Such a great letter! I love the excerpt from the book your mom gave you. So true. I always feel like I have big shoes to fill to live up to both my mom and my grandmother. They have instilled so much into me, I can only hope that I will pass some of that on to my boys.

Megan said...

I agree with Danielle. I can only hope to be half the loving, wonderful, silly mother that I had as a kid.
Great letter and now I'm dying to go and pick up mu little girl and see her awesome smile.

Carissa said...

Great post! My baby boy just turned 6 months as well, so exciting! I really enjoyed the last part about mother's relationships. I lost my mother last year to cancer, but I do believe she taught me what I needed to be a great mother! I also blog if you would like to check it out! http://themom-mediaries.blogspot.com/

Lisa said...

The next six months are so much fun! One year is one of my most favorite ages.