Sunday, October 6, 2013

Letter to Charlotte: Month seven

Dear Charlotte,

You've really started to come into your own this past month, both with your sweet and funny personality and developmentally.  You seem to do something new each day and you are SO proud of yourself when you realize what you've done.  In addition to wondering what I did with all my “free time” before you were born, I often wonder what our family did for entertainment as you provide that for us most evenings.  


You started solids this month and just like with nursing and your bottles, you love to eat, and you come by this trait naturally.  I can’t quite comprehend how you’re so petite compared to other babies your age when I see how much you love eating and how much you actually eat.  We started with a bowl of rice cereal shortly after you turned six months old and by the third night you were squawking at me when that bowl was finished because you’d like more, please.  And make it snappy.  The best way I can think to describe the noise you make when you want more food is a holler.  You literally holler at us until we bring you more and it’s pretty adorable.  You moved very quickly to fruit and vegetable purees and haven’t found a food you don’t like.  After just a week or so, we added breakfast to your routine and you do just as well with your meals at school as you do at home.  So far you've tried, and loved, bananas, sweet potatoes, acorn and butternut squash, apples, pears, and spinach.  We’ll talk about why there’s no need to add prunes to the mix a little later.  You love sitting at the table while the family eats dinner and once you’re completely full, you’re content to play with your toys and chitter chatter to us about your day.  


You've turned into a big talker this past month, chirping and chatting with us throughout your day.  When I get you up in the morning you usually have a story to tell me and love to engage in conversation even when you’re nursing.  You love when you have our undivided attention and the grin we get in return is simply priceless.  Anna loves to tell you about her day, a new toy, and even says “oh yeah?” at just the right time and in the right tone when you start a babble session.  It won’t be long until you’re both bantering in full sentences back and forth and I’m doing my best to keep up with your slang and lingo. 


You’re physically growing up and we were finally able to get you to sit still, literally, for long enough this month to perfect sitting up.  Until a couple of weeks ago you were content to roll across an entire room and back again, taking a toy with you, or going after one, and just didn't find sitting in one spot very amusing.  Then you realized that with balance came the ability to grab at many toys at once while still being the center of attention.  The first few times you were able to sit upright and not topple over you simply beamed with pride, shaking that head back and forth and back and forth admiring your new view of the world.  We've also introduced you to your jumper and you’re getting the hang of using those legs; it doesn't hurt that Anna’s there to demonstrate and “help” you along the way. 


Speaking of Anna, we’re a little limited in to how we can refer to your development.  We made the mistake of calling you “such a big girl” in front of your sister and were quickly corrected, “No, Mommy, Charlotte is a BABY, I am a BIG GIRL.”  And if she knew how to roll her eyes, that would have followed.  So, we call you our baby in her presence, but each day as you smile bigger, find a new toy or perfect a new skill, it’s obvious you’re growing right before our eyes. 

We started to see a tiny bit of separation anxiety / a case of the Mama’s girl set in this month.  On a couple of occasions you just didn't want anyone else to hold you, especially if I wasn't in your line of sight.  Although I was flattered with the compliment, I also love to share your sweet smiles and hugs and/or eat a meal with both hands.  But, it’s a small price to pay to feel like the center of your universe and I know that feeling won’t last forever.   


I saw a quote this month that really hit home.  It read “you carry them in your arms for a little while, but your heart forever.”  As you start to take tiny steps toward mobility and independence, I’m reminded just how much I need to stop and enjoy the tiny snuggles, the slobbery kisses, the little grasps at my arm, and the sweet smiles as you nuzzle close to me.  You’re still a great sleeper and, for many reasons, bedtime is one of my favorite parts of the day.  I love nursing you to sleep and rocking you for those extra minutes after I’m sure you’d be fine if transferred to your crib.  I love that the air outside is getting cooler, so you’re wearing heavier pajamas (those cute footies) and because of our closeness you’re often a little sweaty as you lay down to sleep.  I love that last kiss I plant on your forehead before I sneak out, the angelic look about you, and how you snuggle yourself into *that perfect* sleeping position as you settle in.  Someday you won’t want me to hold you in my arms, and you won’t need me to rock you to sleep, but I hope you remember you always have a place there, and, more importantly, in my heart.  
n
Love, 
Mom

0 comments: