Thursday, February 21, 2013

Baby bump: 37 weeks


I'm a little behind in getting this post up, I'm closer to 38 weeks than 37 at this point, but better late than never.  I had a routine check-up last week where it was noted that my blood pressure had started to rise, same as it did with Anna (although a little later in this pregnancy).  Because of this they ran blood work that came back showing some elevated and lowered functions across the board and I'm officially on pre-eclampsia watch, again, same as I was with Anna.  I have a check up tomorrow and will also undergo a non-stress-test to ensure this baby girl is safe and sound. The good news is that I'm full-term and it's totally safe to induce me should they feel it's necessary.  I'll make a note that the last few weeks have been mirror images of my first pregnancy ... elevated levels, pre-eclampsia watch, a NST on the last day of my 37th week of pregnancy ... you may recall after that last appointment I was told to go home, rest of the weekend and return on Monday ... and then my water broke around midnight that evening.  It will be interesting to see if we continue down the same path this time, or if I actually get to enjoy a few days of my two-week pre-maternity leave.  Feel free to leave your prediction(s) as a comment.


How Far Along: 37 weeks

Size of Baby: Approximately 6 1/2 pounds and approximately 19-20 inches long.  I'll note that Anna was exactly average weight at birth, 7lbs even, and they expect this baby to be the same, at this point the baby is gaining about 1/2 lb a week putting her around 7lbs this weekend.  

Movement:   I can definitely tell there's less room in the oven for this little girl to move around, I feel much bigger kicks and can tell she's gotten stronger; because of this I feel her activity more often and fairly regularly thorughout the day.  Over the last two weeks she's also gotten hiccups several times : )

Sleep:  Still a challenge, but it's good practice for what's to come!

Cravings:    Ethnic foods:  Mediterranean, Asian, Mexican, Italian ... and still ice cream because I swear it helps with my acid reflux overnight if eaten right before bedtime : )

Symptoms:    I'm starting to feel a lot more pressure and can tell labor will be coming sooner rather than later.  Sometimes I'm fairly certain this baby is attempting to karate chop her way out of the womb; I've got constant pressure on most of my internal organs, most specifically my bladder and lungs ... meaning lots of winded trips to the restroom : )

Best Moment This Week:  Being able to share movements with Mike and Anna and being able to decipher what they are feeling (a hand vs a foot, etc).  We'd never really held Anna's hand to my belly during kicks until this last week and now I'm fairly certain she thinks I'm harboring an alien baby.  She looked at me as though I had four heads when she felt the kicks and actually scooted away from me on the couch.  

Other notes:  Our bags are packed, I have several freezer meals prepared and most of the baby-related items have been moved from storage to the nursery or guest bedroom.  That said, I'd love to have a few days to rest and relax at home with my first love before welcoming this baby, but I also know I have very little say in this timing : )

3 comments:

Carrie Drake said...

Jen! I'm so excited for your growing family. I can't wait to hear the news that BK2 is here. I will keep you guys in my prayers in these coming days/weeks.

Danielle said...

I'm going to guess March 8th. I'm always game for a good guessing game :)

Megan said...

I'm gonna go for this weekend. :)