Thursday, February 2, 2012

What's Cookin': Linguine with Clam Sauce

A few years ago on the ski trip (where we don't ski), Amber and I planned to offer a vegetarian option on pasta night, but like usual there were mass amounts of food, and another dish literally wouldn't have had a serving plate to stand on.  Amber had sweet-talked her mother into handing over the recipe to begin with, so I think I may have been sworn to secrecy regarding the fact that she shared with me.  I can't remember exactly, and honestly this recipe is too delicious, way too easy, and soooo affordable that I'd feel guilty not sharing with my six readers.  Notice I didn't throw healthy into the description, scroll down and read the recipe and you'll see why.  Everything in moderation, right?  Throw a salad into the mix like we did and you'll get your greens.  Use whole grain pasta, like we did, and you'll get an extra dose of fiber and protein in your day.  After you eat this dish, I promise you won't care about the extra calories. 


Nothing smells better than EVOO, butter, and garlic cooking!

Except maybe this finished sauce, waiting for noodles!

Y-U-M-MMMMMMMMMMM! 
I forgot the fresh parsley at the store ... it bugged me that the plate lacked
something green, but I powered through and ate it anyway ; )

Linguine with Clam Sauce

1 pound linguine noodles, fresh is best (we used whole grain)
1/3 cup EVOO
1/2 stick butter
3 cloves of garlic, minced (more if you're a garlic lover like me)
4, 6 1/2 ounce cance of minced clams, including their liquid
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 cup chopped parsley (I forgot this, but the dish survived)
dash of red pepper flakes
splash of white wine (optional)
grated Romano cheese

In a large pot of boiling, well-salted water, cook linguine just until tender. 

Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, heat oil and butter until butter melts.  Add garlic and cook until golden, but watch to ensure it doesn't burn.  Stir in the clams with their liquid, oregano, parsley, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper to taste.  Cook just until heated.  Add a splash (or more) or white wine if you choose. 

Drain linguine, return to the pot, add the clam sauce and cheese and toss until well coated.  Serve with extra cheese and red pepper flakes.

Great with a loaf of oven-hot french bread or garlic bread. 

Notes from Amber's Momma:
-- This recipe easily doubles, triples, etc.  When you get into doubling, tripling, a helpful hint is to open all of the cans of clams first, then start everything else.

-- This recipe is top secret and the Momma-Love ingredient cannot be recreated.  So if your recipe tastes really good, but like a little sumpin' sumpin' is missing - it's the Momma-Love.  (this is soooo true, and why I added the white wine, ha)

-- This recipe will get better with age, i.e. the next day ... good luck having that opportunity.

1 comments:

Ms. Thomas said...

Oh goodness. You better hope you don't get a 7th reader...

Leiah and I were just talking about how our mom is a recipe hoarder. And we agreed it's because she knows we can't put as much momma love in it as she does.

(Freaky coincidence is I JUST bought the fixins to make this for the first time in a few years! Now I don't have to go hunting for the recipe.)