Wednesday, January 28, 2015

What's cookin': Jamaican Gumbo

Wow, I haven't posted a new recipe on almost a year and a half ... it's not because I haven't been cooking, it's because I've been cooking for a toddler and a preschooler and I'm pretty sure y'all know how to make mac n cheese.

Before kids I knew that the dinnertime routine would change as I started to cook for a family, but I had no idea how much. When we started to think about finger foods with Anna, I heard several people talk about how "my child eats everything we eat with no exceptions."

I've since realized they were blatantly lying. Their pants are definitely on fire somewhere!

Over the past three years, I've found myself making meals, side dishes, and dish modifications I would have gawked and scoffed at pre-kids. Sometimes your priority becomes getting calories into your kids body and if it happens to be relatively healthy, that's a bonus. We've found that appetites and preferences ebb and flow ... if a child likes something one day, enjoy, because chances are they will hate it tomorrow.

Literally tomorrow, usually when you send leftovers for lunch.

Anyway, I digress.

I went to a freezer meal workshop almost a year ago and although some of the recipes turned out to be duds, this one was a hit and graced our kitchen again a few weeks ago. The recipe called for stovetop preparation, being the rebel that I am, I threw the ingredients in the crock pot partially frozen in the morning and came home to a delicious dinner 8 hours later.




Jamaican Gumbo

4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs (whole or cut into pieces)
12 oz andouille or smoked sausage, sliced (I use smoked turkey sausage)
1 yellow bell pepper, diced
1 red bell pepper, diced
2-3 stalks of celery, diced
1/2 medium onion, diced
2 cloves of garlic, small diced or grated
14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
2 tablespoons Jamaican jerk seasoning blend
Cooked white or brown rice (slow cooker preparation)
3/4 c rice and 3/4 water (stove top preparation)

Slow Cooker instructions: Combine all ingredients except rice in your slow cooker and cook on low 6-7 hours. Shred chicken thighs with two forks if cooked whole. Serve over cooked rice.

Stovetop instructions: Combine all ingredients except rice in a large skillet or dutch oven and turn to medium-high heat and bring to a boil. Add rice and water, return to a boil. Turn to low, cover, and cook for 25-30 minutes or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed.

Suitable for advance preparation: Throw all of the ingredients other than the rice in a freezer-friendly zip-top bag, double bag and lay flat to freeze. Thaw for 12-24 hours and prepare as instructed above.

0 comments: