Saturday, September 14, 2013

Letter to Anna: Month twenty-eight

Dear Anna,

Another month down and I still can’t believe how fast time is flying.  You’re literally growing before our eyes and turning into the sweetest little lady I've ever met.  In a world where technology changes by the minute and we’re trending away from human interaction, it’s refreshing to have a little girl that loves nothing more than to be by my side. 


I love to hear you talk!  You have the sweetest little voice that rings of innocence.  You’re talking in full sentences and it’s rare that we can’t decipher what you’re saying.  Everything you say is something that could go down on my list of favorites, but the most memorable include, “How are you doing this day?”, “Both guirlss” (as you insist I carry both you and Charlotte down the stairs each morning), “Yzeahhh”, “No, I don’t-y want to” (not my fave, but you sound so cute forming the sentence), “Like a baaaabbbyyyy” (in this southern accent that’s absolutely hilarious), “Hi everybody, what you doing in here?”  (as you enter a room), and “I’m a gonna want ...” (when you want something).  With the good comes the bad and you can be fairly adamant, and you've been known to throw a tantrum when you don’t get what you want, but I think that’s all part of being two years old.  And, let’s be honest, I’m not sure girls ever grow out of needing to have a good cry every now and again. 


You sing all.the.time.  And I mean all the time.  Your notes from school for 2 weeks straight were focused on your singing.  You sing with others, alone, during appropriate times, and whenever the mood strikes.  Your favorites are Twinkle Twinkle, ABCs (which you sing VERY accurately), Wheels on the Bus, Old McDonald, and Itsy Bitsy Spider.  You've recently gotten even more creative and have started doing mash-ups of two or more song; I guess the Glee episodes we watched when you were in the womb and nursing as a baby paid off.  You mostly sing the correct words and know the motions, but more importantly, you can carry a tune.  You’re very opinionated as to who can sing along, if anyone, very often hushing me, or insisting I sing along.  As much as you love to sing, you also love to dance.  We can often divert the start of a tantrum or bust the blues with an impromptu dance party, at home or in the car.  You totally have white-girl dance moves, but you've definitely got rhythm and we can always work on style. 


You’re physically growing so fast and learning more every day.  Seeing you with your group of friends at school when I pick you up never ceases to amaze me.  Just last week I arrived during potty time, you were just wrapping up on the toilet and you showed me how you can wipe, flush, and then you marched right over to the sink and washed your hands by yourself.  It was like I didn't even need to be there and I’m pretty sure I stood there with my jaw on the floor.  The next minute you were showing me your cubby, grabbing your bag and we were on our way to Charlotte’s room. 

I’m learning that I rarely give you the credit you’re due and you proved this to me big time this past month.  Last fall we considered a large wooden swing set for the yard, but determined you were just too small to manage it on your own, so we put it on hold.  We take you to the park fairly regularly and you do well, but still need some assistance.  So, when we went to a cookout a few weeks ago and our friends had a large swing set, I was worried it would spell disaster as I tried to hold Charlotte and help you out at the same time.  No sooner had I walked outside to see what you were doing than I saw you fly down the slide.  You’d climbed the ladder, scooted yourself across the platform and were the happiest girl around as you slid on down.  It was more the act of doing it on your own without fear that amazed me, the not needing me to coach you or hold your hand, or wait at the bottom with an encouraging word.  I was SO proud of you that night.  You played with friends you’d only met a handful of times, led games, were polite, and tried so many new things.  My heart swelled knowing you were in your element and having a blast. 




You’re still a great sleeper and love a good nap.  On vacation this past month you slept in a big girl bed with a rail and did great.  You got out of bed twice at the end of a long nap, just after we’d heard you start to talk, and opened the door ever-so-quietly and peeked out.  I was worried you wouldn't want to go back to your crib when we got home, but you had no problems.  Your Dad and I always check on you before we head to bed and routinely send the other one in to admire how you’re sleeping.  I can’t even begin to describe the crazy potions you get yourself into, but I wish I had half of your flexibility.  And then there’s your hair when you get up; I’m pretty sure you channel Don King and it cracks us up. 

You had a great time at the beach this year.  It took you a few days, but by the end of the week you were in love with the ocean and asking to head in with your Daddy over and over.  We’d usually head down mid-morning and would pack your lunch and snacks with us; regardless of what time we got there, you wanted to eat your PB&J in a beach chair while listening to waves.  In your two-year old mind, that was the neatest thing ever, and you’re wise beyond your years because life really doesn't get much better than that.  You had a blast at the pool as well and loved using your puddle jumper to help you swim in both pools. 



You're still the apple of your sister’s eye and I can’t get enough of watching you two interact.  You can make her belly-laugh like no one else, are worried if you can’t pin point her location, and know just the right toy to bring to her if she’s upset.  You watch me like a hawk and are an expert at mimicking comforting behavior.  On vacation you had a baby doll that you treated as your own and were playing in your room when I walked in one afternoon.  You politely explained to me that your baby was hungry and you proceeded to lift your shirt and nurse her on one side, burp her, and the feed her on the other side.  Afterwards, you put her to bed with a gentle touch and told me to “shhhhh, be quiet, baby is sleeping, Mommy.”  My heart swelled with pride.  As much as my job is to help you find your independence, it’s also to teach you respect, manners, and how to care and love for your fellow humans.  Some of that you’re clearly picking up on your own, but a lot of it also comes from your sweet, gentle, and cautious nature.  As you grow, I want to encourage you to do things that are a little scary, to run with the wind, but to always remember who you are at heart.  In life there are things that stick with you, things are engrained in your head you’ll never forget; and for me, your sweet little two-year old voice, words and actions will stick with me always.  I never want to forget your innocence, the sweetness in your voice and gentleness of your touch.  And I never want you to forget what an amazing little girl you are and how much a difference you’ve already made in so many lives. 

Love, 
Mom

2 comments:

Patricia said...

What a beautiful letter! You captured Anna perfectly! Not only will Anna love these letters when she is older; you will love remembering her childhood through your letters! You are such a wonderful Mom to Anna and Charlotte! Anna is such a wonderful little girl and I am thankful everyday that God sent her to be your daughter!I love you and Anna and Charlotte more than words can say!

Ms. Thomas said...

You're making me want to kidnap. Thanks for giving this world the gift that is Anna. Now, make her stop growing up.