Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Letter to Charlotte: Month Five

Dear Charlotte,

I can’t believe that we'll be celebrating your “half birthday” next month – time has really flown lately!  You continue to change right before our eyes and are growing right into your sweet, caring and loving personality.  You smile all the time, want nothing more than to be in the center of whatever is going on, and are completely addicted to your big sister.  To say that my life is crazy in the best way during this stage in life is an understatement. 


You've been in daycare for a few weeks now and, no surprise, did great with the transition.  You are an A+ student and all of your teachers tell me each day what a sweet and happy child you are in their care.  You've taken your bottles like a champ, love to interact with the other children in your class, and give huge smiles to everyone that you encounter.  You’re not taking the greatest naps, usually three 30-minute snoozes, but we’re getting there and had a huge victory when you slept for almost two hours this week.  Because you’re a little tired at the end of the day, you’re drinking a bit more and we’re going through my frozen stash of milk, but that’s OK; you’re a growing girl and are great at giving your hunger cues.  Just like with your sister, as soon as we get home and I’m changed, we settle in for a 30-minute nurse and nap session while Anna winds down from her day with a snack.  As hard as it can be to see you go to school each day, it’s the smile I see at pick-up, the fact that you want to be with me as soon as we get home, and those snuggles and slobbery kisses that send you off to bed each night that help me remember that I'm still one of your number ones.




We’re waiting to start you on any solid food until next month, but in the meantime, you love to be a part of the action at any and all mealtimes.  Once content to observe from your bouncy chair, you now sit in my lap when we eat and I’m perfecting the art of eating with one hand.  The one-handed meal isn’t new to me, as that’s our system for breakfast each day; Anna eats at the table, I sit next to her and eat while you nurse, it’s one the of the best parts of my day even though it means I’m usually stuck with a boring old granola bar.  You love to be held or propped up to see the action in general, not just as mealtimes, and many of my daily activities are completed with you on my hip and a little drool running down my arm.  You also enjoy your view from the Baby Bjorn and that’s made outings in the neighborhood with your big sister much more manageable.


You’re starting to work on sitting up and are getting pretty good at the tripod pose.  You look like such a “big girl” when we prop you against something or let you work on sitting in your Bumbo chair or with the Boppy pillow.  You love to see the world around you and your big, beautiful, blue eyes take it all in.  You’re drooling up a storm and have recently been able to single out that thumb for a primo spot in your mouth.  You’re not a routine thumb-sucker just yet, but I've walked in on you snoozing a few times with that appendage in your mouth, so I’m sure it’s only a matter of time.  We’re working to drop the swaddle and are free of it for the most part, you can still get just a little too worked up / overly tired before naps, so we've kept the option on your sleep sack. 



You are one of the most genuinely happy babies I've ever met.  Your patience means that you only cry when you *really* need something and even then are all smiles when you've been tended to.  Even when you start to fuss a bit and need some attention, we get that big, gummy smile as soon as we're by your side.  You are easily entertained with a silly face or animated movement and I’m certain your belly laughs could be used to encourage world peace.  The one person you love most in the world is your big sister; to say you are each smitten with each other is an understatement.  The minute she walks in your direction your eyes light up and to see you interact with each other is a sight everyone should see.  You follow her around the room, she asks about you first thing in the morning and is the last person she says good-night to as we carry her off to bed; she can make you laugh harder than anyone in the world and it seems you two have a language all your own.  When I watch you “playing” with each other I start to have visions of you two running around the house as young children, heading off to high school, and then moving out to college.  It makes me sad and nostalgic at the same time, but mostly it makes me happy that you are already forging a bond that will last your lifetime.




Seeing the world through the eyes of a child is nothing short of magical and I can’t thank you enough for the perspective you provide on a daily basis.  You make a bad day at work seem like a distant memory, a sink full of dishes disappear, dirty laundry doesn't matter, and the messy house can certainly wait.  You’re such an easy child to put to bed at night that I admit openly to rocking you much longer than needed most evenings.  I stare at your relaxed face, listen to your slowed breaths, and the worries of my day melt away.  I hope to repay you for these “therapy sessions” later in life when you've had a stressful day and can’t find your own path.  Please know that I don’t have to physically present to provide a shoulder to cry on or to lend an ear.  I feel pain when you feel pain, you’re my baby girl, and I’ll always have time for you.  Most often, although you may not know it, I’ll be helping you to understand what you’re helping me to understand now; there’s always a bigger picture and a grander scheme; take the time to enjoy what you've been given in life. 


Love, 
Mom

2 comments:

Danielle said...

I think I need you to be my mom for a month so you can teach me the profound art of patience and the whole "bigger picture" idea! I definitely lose sight of that more often than I'd like.

Another great letter!

Ms. Thomas said...

That picture of her sitting up in the blue with her big eyes and curious look and curly toes? That one almost makes me want a baby. Almost.