Thursday, September 24, 2015

On my love affair with carbs

If you keep scrolling, you'll see that I'm back-posting most often ... man, is it hard to keep up with blogging when you have a full-time job, two girls that keep you busy, and a life to lead! But I don't want to forget these moments and feelings, so it's better late than never. As I was scrolling through pictures, I came across this one and I realized that I also wanted to document and remember a personal journey that's happened over the past few months.


So, what do lettuce wrapped tacos have to do with anything, you ask? Well, weight and fitness are yo-yo's for me and always will be. I like to eat healthy and exercise regularly, but I'm also an emotional eater, a bored eater, a stress eater, and it's pretty easy for me to mentally talk myself out of any workout.

But, I'm also a rule follower and  love running endurance races because it gives me a set program, accountability and a big goal. I got back into running and regular exercise last spring and felt like a million bucks when I crossed the finish line at the Queen Bee half marathon in October. And then the after-race effect hit. I took a few weeks off running, got out of my morning exercise routine habit, had some aches and pains to deal with, and by spring I found that I'd gained a few pounds. A sorority sister of mine is a BeachBody coach and posts on Facebook often about the accountability groups she runs. She was starting a 21 Day Fix program and I'd inquired, but hadn't acted a week after she passed me the information. I was on my computer typing an e-mail with all the reasons why it wasn't the right time to try the program when something came over me, I deleted everything and simply said "I'm in, tell me how to order."

I've done Weight Watchers, Slim Fast, Adkins, My Fitness Pal, starving myself; you name it, I've tried it. There's nothing magical about the 21 Day Fix, but it's what I needed and when I needed it. The program includes a nutrition plan that's high in protein, low in carbs, focuses on clean eating, and includes 30 minutes of exercise daily.

I started my first "fix" on a Friday so that I'd be done in time for our anniversary trip and cannot even begin to tell you how sore I was the next day. The workouts go by quickly, but can be intense for someone new to the program. But I stuck with it and I started to see results; but more importantly, I FELT stronger. The accountability group was great in giving me ideas and cheerleading me through the program. I lost six pounds and six inches the first round (21 days) and four pounds and six more inches the second round - that's 10 pounds and 12 inches in 42 days! I learned that while I might be staying well within a 1,200 calorie per day diet, I needed to drop some carbs and add more protein. I also got back into thinking through my week and days and planning splurges and sticking to that plan.

Although I'm not following the program to a T these days, I still think in terms of the number of servings from each food group I want to aim for on a daily basis and am still exercising 5-6 days a week. I still use the 21 Day Fix DVDs to supplement my running, spin classes, and yoga and have bought the PIYO system and hope to use that more exclusively after I cross the Queen Bee finish line again in a couple of weeks. I've kept the weight off, have purchased smaller shorts and pants throughout hte summer, but more importantly, I feel more comfortable and happy in my own skin!

You're potentially still asking what lettuce wrapped tacos have to do with all of this? One of the easy changes I made so that I wasn't making two different meals for our family each evening or feeling like I was missing something, was to swap veggies for carbs. Lettuce instead of a bun or tortilla, zucchini noodles (zoodles) instead of pasta, or just skipping the carb all together and saving for a glass of wine after the girls were in bed. Nowadays you're likely to find me toasting you with a protein shake for breakfast and a glass of wine in the evening : )

Taken just two days after I finished my first "fix" : )

1 comments:

Danielle said...

Who is a Beach Body coach? I was entranced by an infomercial I saw on the 21-day fix. Is that the one with the little portion containers? I love the idea of 20 minutes! Now that's something I can get down with. :)