Friday, June 6, 2014

Letter to Charlotte: Month fifteen

Dear Charlotte,

Although I’m still getting used to telling people I have a three-year-old and one-year-old, you’re having no trouble moving right ahead in your milestones and are every bit the busy body that a 15 month old should be.  I still do, and probably always will, think of you as my baby, but every day it seems that you grow-up just a little more right before my eyes. 


You’re getting *this* close to completely walking.  You can walk, but you only do it on your terms.  Crawling gets you where you need to go, so why mess with anything else?  I have a feeling that you may have inherited a little of your mother’s perfectionist tendencies and you’re simply waiting until you have it totally down pat and will start running after your sister any day.  In the meantime you don’t find yourself limited at all and will carry your sippy cup, a book, or a toy in your mouth en route to your final destination.  A few weeks ago I noticed you were putting your pull-puppy toy’s string over your shoulders and around the back of your neck in *just* a way that allowed you to pull him along behind you.  Genius.

Not walking hasn’t kept you from coasting along at the park and after Anna’s park birthday party you became a bona-fide slider.  You love to go down the slide, but you love crawling back up it more!  There’s a park close to home that boasts a double slide and it’s truly double trouble when you both get going down and back up.  Speaking of Anna’s birthday party, you had a blast.  You’re still a little shy, but were ready to get in on the action and loved watching all of the other big kids play.  The balloons and cupcakes weren’t shabby door prizes, either. 



You’ve expanded your vocabulary this past month with both words and signs.  You use all-done and more effectively when signing and can say book, duck, quack, Daisy (for both cats), nana (blanket and/or Anna), dog, more, and moo.  You especially like to make the quacking noise when you see a duck and have been known to walk around with your rubber ducky just quacking away. 


When you’re not talking, you’re generally happy and smiley, and have one of the most infectious laughs I’ve ever heard.  Anything Anna does is hilarious, and you love to laugh at the games you two make up and play together.  The most fun is the “1-2-3 game” where you each stand at the head of a bed (ours or Anna’s) and free fall backward simultaneously.  You usually wake up from your afternoon nap first and nothing is more fun than going into Anna’s room when she’s awake and playing that game for a good half hour.  Seeing you two scramble to get back up and then dying laughing as you fall again could melt anyone’s blues away. 



You learned to quack while you spent a few days with your Gigi and your Dad and I took a short vacation to Florida.  As if she wasn’t already wrapped around your little finger, you wrapped your Gigi tighter.  Unless she just played us for fools, it looks like you girls were great for her and she loved getting all of the Charlotte snuggles.  Your favorite thing to do with Gigi is to bring her book after book after book.  She’ll read you one just as fast as you can crawl over the bookshelf for another.  And then repeat.  You love lift-the-flap books, touchy-feely books, and Dr. Seuss tongue twisters all the same.  And your Gigi loves nothing more than to sit and read with you. 


My favorite time of the day with you has always been bedtime.  Our special time.  Even though you haven’t nursed in three months, I had still rocked you to sleep most nights.  Your eyes would get heavy as you sucked your thumb and twirled your hair or mine, and you’d slowly drift off to sleep.  Until you didn’t and started refusing to go to sleep for me.  For about 3 weeks straight you’d rock for 30-45 minutes with me and would scream bloody murder if I laid you down; but Gigi or Dad could get you down in 5 minutes flat.  I guess I’m not the only one wrapped around your little finger. 

You started calling your blanket a nana this month.  You don’t keep a blanket with you routinely, but occasionally at school or home you’ll ask for the one that stays in your crib and will cuddle up.  At first we thought you were asking for Anna, and sometimes you are, but mostly it’s your blanket when you need a few minutes to just sit and snuggle.  I called my maternal grandmother Nana and think about her almost every day, and know that she’d love nothing more than to see you and your sister.  When I think of my Nana, I think of comfort, security and love, the same thing you think of with your nana; and I have to think there’s no coincidence there.  Even though my Nana isn’t here on earth any longer, I know that she’s always watching over me.  And that holds true for me, I may not always be with you physically, but I’ll always be your biggest fan and your number one protector. 

Love,

Mom

0 comments: