Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Letter to Anna: Month thirty-two

Dear Anna,
What a month for our family, and especially you!  You’ve grown by leaps and bounds and amaze me each day; and, yes, I know I say this every month, but it’s always true. 

This month we embarked on potty training and we’re just one day over being two weeks into the process and you are doing phenomenally!  You haven’t had an accident in 5 days and the last few you had were tiny and you caught yourself immediately and let someone know you needed to use the potty.  We started the day after returning from a few days in Pittsburgh to celebrate Christmas and while I still had a few days off for the holidays.  I’d purchased “supplies” a few months ago and gave it a half-hearted try one Saturday in September, but quickly realized that I needed to be more devoted, which is hard when you only have two full days at home each week and those usually consist of endless errands, cleaning and generally catching up on life.  So, we had what we needed and we went straight into underwear, set a timer and sat on the potty the every 30 minutes.  You had three accidents the first day, two the second day and none the third day.  On the fourth day you went back to school and we weren’t sure how you’d do, so we sent you in a Pull-up, but you only wore undies at home and throughout the next weekend.  You had two small accidents at school that next week, and since then you’ve been a potty master.  You wear a Pull-up at naptime and to bed (it’s dry about 75% of the time when you wake up) and otherwise you’re all underwear all the time.  You went all out and wanted to use the big potty, not the potty chair I’d purchased, and that was fine with me.  You were SO proud of yourself the first time you successfully went on the potty, and I cried tears of joy.  The first few days were exhausting; I was home by myself while your Dad was at work and the world literally stopped every half hour, or when you showed any sign of needing to go, or when you had an accident, but it was SO worth it.  Your potty reward was M&Ms, which were slowly forgotten about after the first week and as using the bathroom became second nature.  I can’t reiterate enough how great you've done, even your teachers at school were pleasantly surprised, and it makes me very proud as a parent to know that I've taught you a skill you will literally use all of your life. 



At the same time we started potty training, we converted your crib into a full size bed, all to go along with the “big girl” theme.  You’d shown no signs of trying to climb out of your crib or needing the transition, but we thought you were ready and it was time.  I was also getting tired of lugging 30lbs of toddler over that crib railing each night and every morning.  Just like all of the other transitions, you did great and probably slept a little better and harder in your new bed.  Your big girl bed is adorned with a flowery pink  quilt, a bedskirt that resembles a tutu and girly sheets with patterns including butterflies or ladybugs.  Honestly, I’m a little jealous.  The bed sits fairly high and you have a double rail.  Assembling that thing about nearly caused your Dad and I to get divorced, but you haven’t fallen out, so it was worth the effort.  The first time you saw your “big girl bed” you spent a good 30 minutes rolling around on it and telling us how much you loved it.  It made my heart happy!  And then seeing how well you did with the transition made me beam with pride.  Charlotte gave it her stamp of approval and I can’t wait for the day that you have your first sister sleepover. 

You had a wonderful Christmas season and it was amazing to see the holiday through the eyes of a child.  We recorded and watched all of the traditional Christmas shows, talked about Santa (or Ho Ho), went on Frosty the Snowman marches and hunts, baked cookies for Santa, opened lots of presents, and generally enjoyed the season.  Minus the two weeks we were all sick, but thankfully everyone was healthy for Christmas and New Year.  We talked about Baby Jesus, read his story, and sang to him on Christmas day.  It’s amazing to see you retain and process information and I loved hearing you ask me about the real reason of Christmas during the holidays.  



You continue to be Miss dramatic and it’s so fun to watch your imagination take over.  You’re constantly thinking of a new game to play and love to involve the entire family.  You’re becoming quite the actress and can act sad, start to cry, or squeal with joy on command.  To the point that there have been times when I’ve thought you were really having a hard time and about to cry, only to realize that you were acting.  You’re two!  Boy, are your Dad and I are in for trouble!  You recently learned how to bow at dance class and will demand applause after any performance and immediately go into your bow saying “thank you, thank you."  Outside of your acting chops, you have a very silly sense of humor.  You pick up on jokes and are constantly making us laugh.  The other day you walked over to me with part of an orange peel on your upper lip and asked me if I liked your mustache.  If we go out to eat and you’re given a lemon wedge (your favorite!), you will turn it into a lemon smile, cracking up the entire table. 


You’re very particular and like things a certain way at a certain time.  You’ll fixate on something, whether it be a TV show, snack food, game, anything and we MUST do it that way.  And if not, I’m pretty sure the astronauts in space hear about it.  You usually have a snack when we all get home from our days and for a while you needed it to be fruit snacks, a few chocolate bunny grahams and graham crackers.  No more, no less.  And a glass of milk, please.  Except you usually didn’t ask that nicely.  It took a few weeks and likely a day where our routine was out of whack, but you got over it and moved onto a new set of demands.  At bedtime you like a certain number of hugs and kisses, have to be positioned “just so” in your bed and with the right mix of stuffed animals.  I can’t imagine where you get it from …



You’re a girl in all definitions and have found your sensitive streak early.  You moved to a new class in November and are doing great, but it’s a class with a lot of boys.  A lot of very loud boys.  And because you are a bit shy and timid, I have a feeling you sometimes get lost in the shuffle.  Your teachers told me a few weeks after you moved in there that they have never had a child as sensitive as you and had to quickly adapt the way they correct or encourage you.  The upside is that you are one of the most loveable children and that means lots of hugs for your teachers, for us, and for almost anyone you feel comfortable with.  Our cleaning lady came over last weekend to pick up a coffee table we were selling.  You’ve met her once in your life, but ran right up to her and gave her a big bear hug, it was priceless and I know that she’ll be telling me about that for years.  Before we leave school each day, we have to do the rounds with your friends and your teachers, everyone getting hugs.  And sometimes kisses.  We’re working on “we only kiss friends on the cheek,” but it’s adorable to see you spreading your love. 


You’re changing so quickly and fiercely that I honestly can hardly remember what you were like last month and I wish there was time for me to write about all of the amazing things you do or say, but that would take days.  You simply amaze and astound me on a daily basis.  Some days it’s because you love so hard, others it’s because of your brain, some days it’s because you figured out how to push every single one of my buttons, but mostly it’s because I see you growing into an amazing young woman.  It’s my job as your Mother to teach you how to find your way in this big and crazy world, but you possess so many attributes at such a young age that can’t be taught.  You love so much, you show compassion, you empathize, and you genuinely care about those around you.  Keep on learning, keep on growing, but not too fast … there’s still a lot I need to teach you, and SO MANY hugs I need to get in. 

Love,
Mom

I was a tad late in getting Anna's letter up last month, and because I date my posts the actual date of the girls' birth (14th and 6th), you may have missed it as it was sandwiched between some other pre-planned posts already scheduled, click here if you'd like to read it.

1 comments:

Ms. Thomas said...

Anna sounds like melty chocolate. What a lover. And I am so glad she's got your fabulous blend of particular.